Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,010 Posts
Not impressed.
Safety is not a listening expernece in my way of thinking. It is listening and viewing at the same time. When I taught classes I always started with the basics, hand,eye and shoe protection. Then moved into pictures of what I was discussing. Your assuming your listeners know what 3 points of contact is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not impressed.
Safety is not a listening expernece in my way of thinking. It is listening and viewing at the same time. When I taught classes I always started with the basics, hand,eye and shoe protection. Then moved into pictures of what I was discussing. Your assuming your listeners know what 3 points of contact is.
Awesome.. Thanks for the feedback - Everyone hears different things, its why one should always share.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I saw virtually no pictures, demonstrations or visual aids to show what you are talking about.
I taught an electrical apprenticeship program for over 10 years.
Students learn by listening, seeing, and doing.
Just lecturing will loose their attention quick.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,699 Posts
Painful to watch and i only made it half way.

Maybe it was better in the second half but so far there is no mention of

1/ fiberglass ladders do not conduct. Spark's are not meant to be using aluminum even if they are a lighter and easier ladder to move.
2/ do not paint a fiberglass ladder to stop theft on a job site.
3/ A frame ladders must be fully opened
4/ there is a calculation based on high verses distance from a wall for extension ladders.
5/ top of a ladder should be 3 rungs higher than the height you are working.
6/ ladders are marked for the highest point you can stand on them
7/ do not store tools on top of a ladder
8/ weight limits of the ladder
The list goes on and on.

High lifts also has a long list of does and don'ts especially if more than one person is operating and working from the lift.

If there is no information basically its just rambling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw virtually no pictures, demonstrations or visual aids to show what you are talking about.
Wiz - Thanks for the feedback .
The intention was to bring attention to the subjects so that it can inspire one / team to look deeper within their operations. Thankyou for your dedication in teaching a trade/safety that I love so much and that has provided so much for me/ family/ employees/ employees families/ customers/ etc...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Painful to watch and i only made it half way.

Maybe it was better in the second half but so far there is no mention of

1/ fiberglass ladders do not conduct. Spark's are not meant to be using aluminum even if they are a lighter and easier ladder to move.
2/ do not paint a fiberglass ladder to stop theft on a job site.
3/ A frame ladders must be fully opened
4/ there is a calculation based on high verses distance from a wall for extension ladders.
5/ top of a ladder should be 3 rungs higher than the height you are working.
6/ ladders are marked for the highest point you can stand on them
7/ do not store tools on top of a ladder
8/ weight limits of the ladder
The list goes on and on.

High lifts also has a long list of does and don'ts especially if more than one person is operating and working from the lift.

If there is no information basically its just rambling.
gpop - I agree .. It's not a sexy subject to discuss, however just because it isn't doesn't mean someone out there isn't ready to hear this. At the very least it may spark (no pun intended) a desire to look in to look into the subject a little more.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,699 Posts
gpop - I agree .. It's not a sexy subject to discuss, however just because it isn't doesn't mean someone out there isn't ready to hear this. At the very least it may spark (no pun intended) a desire to look in to look into the subject a little more.
The last place i worked you had to annually refresher on about 60 different safety and environment courses. That meant i had to sit through the same course at least 20 times on subjects like ladders and high lifts. Some instructors were terrible, others could put you to sleep but there was a manager that had the gift of the gab that could sell this like it was the latest and greatest.

If you can master the presentation you can sell anything. If you are struggling to hold someones attention then use props.

20th Arc flash class....boring...boring...yes i know its dangerous as you have said it 50 times.....boring.....horror movie and story time.....now were talking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts