Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm 24 and looking for a change. I got my first "grown up" desk job two years ago and I've come to hate it. The constant sitting in front of a computer is unbearably boring and unrewarding. I thought of going back to school for some type of IT degree but taking on a hefty student loan and trying to work full time and take classes is really unappealing.

I've been a tomboy my whole life. I like building things, being creative, and I've always been able to hang with the guys. My hobbies are snowboarding, paintball, video games, playing guitar, and general outdoorsy stuff amongst other things.

My boyfriend is in the union and loves it. I've gathered a lot of information from him and it seems that a trade would be a perfect fit for me. I bought a work book to help me brush up on my math skills and some weights to get my strength back up. The only thing I'm really worried about is the guys on the job being really unreceptive. I know I'm joining a boys club and I know I'll have to deal with some crap but I'm really nervous that I'll make this life change and no matter how hard I work and study I'll never gain any respect on the job. I'm nervous that I'll just be edged out over time.

I look forward to learning from this forum and hopefully I'll muster the courage to pull the trigger to join the ranks soon.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm 24 and looking for a change. I got my first "grown up" desk job two years ago and I've come to hate it. The constant sitting in front of a computer is unbearably boring and unrewarding. I thought of going back to school for some type of IT degree but taking on a hefty student loan and trying to work full time and take classes is really unappealing.

I've been a tomboy my whole life. I like building things, being creative, and I've always been able to hang with the guys. My hobbies are snowboarding, paintball, video games, playing guitar, and general outdoorsy stuff amongst other things.

My boyfriend is in the union and loves it. I've gathered a lot of information from him and it seems that a trade would be a perfect fit for me. I bought a work book to help me brush up on my math skills and some weights to get my strength back up. The only thing I'm really worried about is the guys on the job being really unreceptive. I know I'm joining a boys club and I know I'll have to deal with some crap but I'm really nervous that I'll make this life change and no matter how hard I work and study I'll never gain any respect on the job. I'm nervous that I'll just be edged out over time.

I look forward to learning from this forum and hopefully I'll muster the courage to pull the trigger to join the ranks soon.
Men are vile despicable pigs on most job sites, keep that in mind and you will be just fine.

Welcome to the forum..:thumbup:

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Welcome.

Dont let the weak men try to hold you down. Its the best trade in the world, all aspects. Join up.

:thumbup1:

Go nonunion so when you work all year round every year and your boyfriend is laid off you can talk smack :jester:

:laughing:

Kinding...

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,353 Posts
Men are vile despicable pigs on most internet electrical forum sites, keep that in mind and you will be just fine.

Welcome to the forum..:thumbup:

fify

·
Dope-less Hope Fiend
electrician
725 Posts
I've worked with several female electricians. All were equal to, or better than, any male electrician I've known.

If you work hard, learn the trade thoroughly, and don't shy away from difficult work, you will do well.

We men are all sex-focused goofballs. Ignore that as best you can. :thumbsup:

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
just be prepared, there are still of the old timers(and not so old) that have that mind set that women dont belong in construction. realize that ,work with it, and if needed, kick him in the balls! as long as its not me!:laughing:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Hey guys,

Then you'll allow me to be honest, as i have a daughter close in age that could well ask the same SS

Cut the gender right on out of the equation. This means in the visual sense, where i would recommend a sports bra & baggy pants. No pink HH's , toolbelts or hello kitty lunchbox.

Next, don't even grant those that do dwell on your gender the courtesy of a response

Finally, you'll have to make up in brain what you'll lack in brawn, unless you're of olympian quality.

Good luck

~CS~

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Then you'll allow me to be honest, as i have a daughter close in age that could well ask the same SS

Cut the gender right on out of the equation. This means in the visual sense, where i would recommend a sports bra & baggy pants. No pink HH's , toolbelts or hello kitty lunchbox.

Next, don't even grant those that do dwell on your gender the courtesy of a response

Finally, you'll have to make up in brain what you'll lack in brawn, unless you're of olympian quality.

Good luck

~CS~
Thanks for the advice. In my research I learned quickly that I need to watch what I wear. Trust me, wearing mens work clothes, sports bra, no make up/jewelry sounds awesome! Haha.

I'm no olympian but I'd consider myself stronger than most women.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.