Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any regularity to this? I have heard of treadmills not working well with them, but nothing with laptops. I just moved into a new home whereas my older home did not have AFCI breakers in it. New home has them and whenever my laptop is plugged in, the AFCI won't hold.

Just wondering before I buy a new cord.

·
Homer to Jebus
790 Posts
Depends on the laptop's AC adapter. The laptop itself does not convert power, it just consumes and diverts it to the various functions such as batteries. What type of laptop if I may ask? Never had this problem with any of the laptops I have and have fixed for others.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Is there any regularity to this? I have heard of treadmills not working well with them, but nothing with laptops. I just moved into a new home whereas my older home did not have AFCI breakers in it. New home has them and whenever my laptop is plugged in, the AFCI won't hold.

Just wondering before I buy a new cord.

does it trip in just one afci circuit or have you tried it in multiple circuits?

is it instantaneously or delayed?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I remember that arch thread. :rolleyes:

Your AC adapter is probably putting something back on the line that is fooling the breaker. Maybe check for an updated breaker or switch them around if you have more then one.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
A surge strip might fix the issue. Other than that megger the circuit, if it scores well take the AFCI out. If this is your home Im surprised you haven't already.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If this is the kind of charger that uses an IEC C5/C6 "Mickey Mouse" cordset connector, check the cord for neutral-to-ground fault. I've been seeing an increasing number of Made in China IEC cordsets with really f'd up problems; hot and neutral swapped, ground continuity broken, and, what may be the problem here, neutral to ground fault.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
your an electrician. its your house. eliminate the afci.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
If this is the kind of charger that uses an IEC C5/C6 "Mickey Mouse" cordset connector, check the cord for neutral-to-ground fault. I've been seeing an increasing number of Made in China IEC cordsets with really f'd up problems; hot and neutral swapped, ground continuity broken, and, what may be the problem here, neutral to ground fault.
Ive had 2 dell chargers go down. One about caught fire with a ground fault. Melted the case before I even noticed it quit charging. An afci might have told me sooner. Ha!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Connect a diag tool such as the siemens intelliarc tools and see how much noise the charger is creating. Electronic power supplies and chargers, ballasts (unless resi grade) and treadmills are the worst. I used to think resi grade ballasts were a cheaper version of the std electronic so I stayed away from them. I had an Advance ICP-4p32 ballast trip a AFCI breakers from too much noise on the circuit. Switched the ballast to a Advance REP and I was good to go. A good diag. tool can also show you if something else is creating 80% of the noise and your laptop charger is just enough to put it over.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
i regress, some electronic stuff these days does fool the the new technology of the new 'technology', and therefore i cant commit to what the REAL problem is!:eek:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I moved the laptop into another room with afci power and no trip. the office room, however, would trip no matter which plug I had my laptop plugged into. it was pissing me off b/c everytime it would trip, I would have to wait for wifi to reboot. it got old quick. only thing plugged in the office is 2 printers, my wife's laptop, cordless phone, and a wireless router. afci would trip whether I had my laptop plugged into the wall or a surge protector.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I moved the laptop into another room with afci power and no trip. the office room, however, would trip no matter which plug I had my laptop plugged into. it was pissing me off b/c everytime it would trip, I would have to wait for wifi to reboot. it got old quick. only thing plugged in the office is 2 printers, my wife's laptop, cordless phone, and a wireless router. afci would trip whether I had my laptop plugged into the wall or a surge protector.
This would make the noise theory more of a possibility. It could be that your laptop charger plus your wife's = enough noise of the "right" signature to trip. Try putting both PS's on the other circuit. Keeping adding combinations onto that circuit to see what makes it trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts