Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all, failed inspection today for having only one duplex receptacle on a countertop in the laundry room. Inspector wants 2’ 4’ rule. He’s citing 210.52 (C), I strongly believe this only applies to the items listed in that code. It’s my opinion he reads “similar areas” and thinks the laundry room qualifies. I think the code is trying to stay in food prep areas of the home. Thoughts? We are going to challenge the city tomorrow on this.
Best,

·
Hackenschmidt
12,036 Posts
Good evening all, failed inspection today for having only one duplex receptacle on a countertop in the laundry room. Inspector wants 2’ 4’ rule. He’s citing 210.52 (C), I strongly believe this only applies to the items listed in that code. It’s my opinion he reads “similar areas” and thinks the laundry room qualifies. I think the code is trying to stay in food prep areas of the home. Thoughts? We are going to challenge the city tomorrow on this.
Best,
I think it could definitely be clearer but I agree with you, it's listing food prep areas. If they meant for it to include counters other than food prep, they'd have put at least one example in there that's not food related - laundry, bathroom, something.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,004 Posts
What was on the approved plans? Who even uses a iron now days? Somewhat rhetorical.
I agree with you, any other homes in the area same plan with the one outlet?
How big a deal is it to add another box?

Having the "conversation" with the inspector can be a winning the battle and loosing the war.
Your in rough in still time to make his point when it becomes expensive for you.

You did say home, I missed it. Old eyes.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,705 Posts
How can a laundry area be similar to a kitchen? The inspector is incorrect, IMO.... Talk to him and if that doesn't work go over his head.

Reactions: DashDingo

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,810 Posts
Not all areas require an electrical plan for a building permit. It is up to the electrician to wire the house to code.
I just finished a house where the laundry area was in the walk in pantry off of the kitchen. Kitchen or laundry?

What I find deficient with the NEC with respect to the laundry area is that only one 20 circuit is required. That means you can install one duplex receptacle for the washing machine and gas dryer. Then you can tap off for the iron receptacle. These new upscale 2ashers draw 10 amps and the gas dryers are drawing 11.6 amps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not all areas require an electrical plan for a building permit. It is up to the electrician to wire the house to code.
I just finished a house where the laundry area was in the walk in pantry off of the kitchen. Kitchen or laundry?

What I find deficient with the NEC with respect to the laundry area is that only one 20 circuit is required. That means you can install one duplex receptacle for the washing machine and gas dryer. Then you can tap off for the iron receptacle. These new upscale 2ashers draw 10 amps and the gas dryers are drawing 11.6 amps.
I agree with you. Most of the cities I work in for residential don’t have plans for installation. It’s all code plus design with owner, builder, designer etc. I still think 210.52 (c) is only intended for kitchen type areas and if the words “work surfaces” was taken out instead of recently added, then I don’t think it would have been called. I think work surfaces was added to include the homework desk next to a kitchen or a buffet style countertop in a dining room etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was on the approved plans? Who even uses a iron now days? Somewhat rhetorical.
I agree with you, any other homes in the area same plan with the one outlet?Custom home.
How big a deal is it to add another box?
Tile backsplash so not my favorite fish in job 😀

Having the "conversation" with the inspector can be a winning the battle and loosing the war.
Your in rough in still time to make his point when it becomes expensive for you.

You did say home, I missed it. Old eyes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think it'd be difficult to truly apply that code to a laundry room, but at the same time, if it is attached/near to the kitchen, it could just as easily be classified as a butler's pantry, where it probably should apply. In the end, are you doing the ultimate homeowner a disservice adding in another outlet there? Will it take more time/energy to argue with the inspector over it than the cost of a few feet of romex, a box/outlet, and your minimal time while still at rough-in? With all the wireless devices around, even including vacuums and such, I know I wouldn't be opposed to more outlets in my laundry room.

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
I’ll just say two things and leave it at that.
1) I think he’s wrong to apply that to a laundry room.
2) I will always run a 20 amp circuit to a countertop in a laundry room and apply countertop rules.
Take that how you wish

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ll just say two things and leave it at that.
1) I think he’s wrong to apply that to a laundry room.
2) I will always run a 20 amp circuit to a countertop in a laundry room and apply countertop rules.

I like your 2 comments. On number 2, I understand having some plugs on the countertop for convenience, do you apply the countertop rules for consistency throughout the home and just to keep things simple?

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
Simply for consistency yes, but mainly because laundry rooms are normally small. By the time you fit a washer and dryer, there’s normally only room for one, main two receptacles. I usually make that dedicated in case they use an iron.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts