Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're feeding a sub panel in a newly attached garage at a house and the topic came up about the PVC conduit doing a 90 straight into the house vs putting an LB first. I don't see anything in the code on this, any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Aegis said:
We're feeding a sub panel in a newly attached garage at a house and the topic came up about the PVC conduit doing a 90 straight into the house vs putting an LB first. I don't see anything in the code on this, any thoughts?
. If I'm understanding you correctly , ( using an LB to enter into the garage , or back of panel vs. using a PVC 90 To do the same ) ? No code issues with this , but if using a 90 to enter a structure , you'll have to recess most of it into the wall leaving a lot of places for water to go .

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Aegis said:
. Just be sure the the LB is rated for the quantity and size conductors you're running through it . It will be stamped on the inside and if not it will give you the cubic inch fill . Nobody does this , but I've seen inspectors fail jobs because of undersized condulets . It's easy to oversize the LB for the conduit size you're using .

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Actually, i'm told no LB qualifies per 314.28 (note '11 'conduit body' change) with regards to T312.6(A)

~CS~

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
There are many conduit bodies, including LBs that have the bending space that is required by the Exception to 314.28(A)(2), however few conduit bodies meet the required 6 times the diameter of the conduit between the conduit entries that is required for a 90° conduit body by 314.28(A)(2). That is why we have the rule in 314.23(A)(3), but that rule too, has issues as it states that the maximum size and number of conductors must be marked on the conduit body.

Note that the rules in 314.28 apply to conduit bodies anytime the conduit body contains conductors #4 and larger.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,717 Posts
Are you asking if a 90° bend in the ground up into the panel is legal? It would be compliant and looks better but an LB is also compliant.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Note that the rules in 314.28 apply to conduit bodies anytime the conduit body contains conductors #4 and larger.

Ive always wondered why LFMC 90s are allowed but not conduit bodies.

It seems like the bend is more severe with the 90s.

Is it the smooth edge?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm all for the 90 if it can be properly sealed when finished (for water). Someone was saying you need an LB, that's why this topic came up.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I'm all for the 90 if it can be properly sealed when finished (for water). Someone was saying you need an LB, that's why this topic came up.

Do you mean coming into the house below ground, then turning it up?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

I would try and avoid doing that.

Water will get in your conduit.

I just realized this is in the Canadian forum.

Maybe someone will help you on whether it is a Code issue there.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I'm not sure any of us completely understand your application ? Can you take a picture or make a sketch ? I love pictures , lol !

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you are talking about having an LB underground I don't think it is a very well thought out installation ( unless I'm missing something here ). To me, the idea of using an LB is to make a wire pull easier. If you have to dig trenches to pull the wire, it is not easier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.