Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got humbled a bit. Just got my license and I'm subcontracting for a construction manager. He has a foreman who told the journeyman who told me to shift all outlets on kitchen area left by 3' (foreman wasn't there).

I asked the journeyman if he was sure (he's well competent carpenter), which he said yes, and so I did it, without verifying with C.M.

Later the manager said "based on what information did you move them?".

I realized my blunder and I said I'd verify with him any changes to plans before installing in the future.

Lesson I learned : Always check with C.M. or Prime Contractor before any changes to plans!

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
You will learn who you get your instructions from after working with people after a while. Every company has its pecking order. For minor changes, I don't bother with change orders. They are to be expected as a job progresses.

Your situation is on the GC. It was his guy who told you to make the changes. His issue is with his employee, not you.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Even if you are going to make the change without a cost change, get the change in writing from an authorized person.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts