Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm really thinking about leaving the union via withdrawal. Would I be allowed to come back easily? Right now im a second year. I dont intend to leave this industry completely. I'd like to know I can come back to this after I get my degree, im 24 years old and education is more of a priority to me right now.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
You need to talk to your BA or BM about this, no one here could tell you for sure.

I know of apprentices that were given leaves of absence and allowed to come back many years later. I also know of apprentices who lost their spot.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hello,

I'm really thinking about leaving the union via withdrawal. Would I be allowed to come back easily? Right now im a second year. I dont intend to leave this industry completely. I'd like to know I can come back to this after I get my degree, im 24 years old and education is more of a priority to me right now.
It's likely you'll lose your spot so I would just stick with it.

What are you going to take in college?

Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
I cannot imagine any reason that it would benefit you or the local to have you quit, midstream, without finishing what you started. A one time sabbatical to take care of a dying parent, or spouse, is one thing, but asking for a time-out to train for another career? Put down the crack pipe.

You need to get your head in the game and make a choice.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
If you don't see being an electrician in your future quit. If you stay you're wasting everyone's time including your own. College is great. Just make sure what you take is what you want and there's jobs for that career choice. The world don't need anymore Liberal arts or Spanish majors.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I cannot imagine any reason that it would benefit you or the local to have you quit, midstream, without finishing what you started. A one time sabbatical to take care of a dying parent, or spouse, is one thing, but asking for a time-out to train for another career? Put down the crack pipe.

You need to get your head in the game and make a choice.
About 9 years ago I had an apprentice leave one of my jobs and take a leave of absence from the local in order to go touring with his band. He went thru the proper channels and got permission. 2 years later he was back working in the local.

iceman90289, like I said in the first post, the only people who can give you correct information is the BA, BM, or apprenticeship administrator. It can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good points guys. I get it, how would it benefit the local? probably wouldnt. I'm going for electrical engineeing. and the local lied when they said our classes count as credit toward a degree. it certainly doesnt. it only covers the work experience part of the degree, such as replacing an internship. I would go with night classes, in fact i did that a year ago and it went great but i could only squeeze in one class, i got a good grade and all. The apprenticeship made me further realize how much i love learning about AC and DC, or electricity in general. I dont enjoy running cable tray so much. But i love the theory and engineering aspect of things. Maybe I should leave the trade reguardless if building isnt my bag. Do i like working with tools though? oh ya sometimes it feels great. But i'd like to reapply after college perhaps.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
iceman90289 said:
good points guys. I get it, how would it benefit the local? probably wouldnt. I'm going for electrical engineeing. and the local lied when they said our classes count as credit toward a degree. it certainly doesnt. it only covers the work experience part of the degree, such as replacing an internship. I would go with night classes, in fact i did that a year ago and it went great but i could only squeeze in one class, i got a good grade and all. The apprenticeship made me further realize how much i love learning about AC and DC, or electricity in general. I dont enjoy running cable tray so much. But i love the theory and engineering aspect of things. Maybe I should leave the trade reguardless if building isnt my bag. Do i like working with tools though? oh ya sometimes it feels great. But i'd like to reapply after college perhaps.
Why?!? You don't need a degree to be an electrician. Why spend the money on 4+ years of education the go back to the union? I don't get it. Do one or another.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Getting into the IBEW is a good opportunity. Having a spot is not something to give up easily.

I'd try my hardest to hold onto the apprenticeship so that you could come back in the future, if you choose to.

You're in California. A 2nd year apprentice there probably makes more money than any other job you can readily find, plus insurance, retirement, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll ask my BM tomorrow, It's just that even though this is a great career, i'd like to have it as something to fall back on. I dont expect electrical engineers to find work willy nilly. although one's with trade experience do i hear. My original plan was to do both simultaneously, i could learn to build as well as design. It's nearly impossible with san bernardino county being so enormous. I'll make a choice. I'm going to go to school, and get my degree, and if I can come back to the union later if i choose then thats even better. I dont need a degree to be an electrician but I do need one to satisfy my educational goals.

I get a lot of retaliation from contractors sometimes when i say im leaving at 2:30 (the time we all get off anyway) to go to school tonight and they know its not the apprenticeship school.

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
Our local - and probably yours, too - offers scholarships to journeymen who want to further their education in a related field such as EE, or perhaps Labor studies, etc. . Get your ticket in hand, re-asses your priorities at that time, and make a decision. You are too close to the finish line, and the apprenticeship goes really fast.

Do you realize how long it will take you to reach the earning power of a JW here in Cali, AFTER your four or five years of college? As an EE, you will likely be working cheap for a good while. My son, just turned out, has a company truck, with a stack of gas cards, and draws foreman wages, probably 120 K per anum, for a 40 hour work week. How long after obtaining your degree will it take you to reach that level as a newly graduated, maybe unemployed EE?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I worked with a lot of engineers before getting in the trade and I will tell you right now the mannerisms are quite different. I probably picked enough vulgar habits before even starting high school to make trying to fit into an top-level electronics engineering environment an uphill battle. I know a few electricians with engineering degrees but their demeanors suggested that they weren't in math club and physics clubs in high school, they seemed like the type that bullied the nerds instead of being nerds. Their careers in engineering went nowhere.

So if you have any tattoos, facial hair (exception: an unkempt full beard), drink more than 4 alcoholic "drinks" a week, have any criminal convictions, or are uncouth or non-conservative you might find it difficult to be accepted in that field (ee/electronics) and -- honestly -- 24 is a rather late start anyways. But if you're polite and have a naturally supple personality you might make it in the engineering world.

Btw, you will likely face contempt from your fellow electricians if you start eluding to the fact that you believe that you are either too good for the trade or the trade isn't good enough for you. I know you're not telling people this verbatim, but people might misinterpret your intentions so a little discretion on this matter will go a long way.

·
Registered
32,124 Posts
Check with your local

AND

Do want you want to do, go where you are going to.

AND

Have no regrets

·
Small Potatoes
5,457 Posts
Check with your local

AND

Do want you want to do, go where you are going to.

AND

Have no regrets
What he said...

Go for it! Get the degree, you'll figure out what you want somewhere down the road.

I admire your goals and ambition. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts