Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The apprenticeship through IBEW lu 702 is an associates in science upon completion. I am wondering if yours is really different. Do you have to fill out registration cards for the JUCO in your area every semester?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I worked with a lot of engineers before getting in the trade and I will tell you right now the mannerisms are quite different. I probably picked enough vulgar habits before even starting high school to make trying to fit into an top-level electronics engineering environment an uphill battle. I know a few electricians with engineering degrees but their demeanors suggested that they weren't in math club and physics clubs in high school, they seemed like the type that bullied the nerds instead of being nerds. Their careers in engineering went nowhere.

So if you have any tattoos, facial hair (exception: an unkempt full beard), drink more than 4 alcoholic "drinks" a week, have any criminal convictions, or are uncouth or non-conservative you might find it difficult to be accepted in that field (ee/electronics) and -- honestly -- 24 is a rather late start anyways. But if you're polite and have a naturally supple personality you might make it in the engineering world.

Btw, you will likely face contempt from your fellow electricians if you start eluding to the fact that you believe that you are either too good for the trade or the trade isn't good enough for you. I know you're not telling people this verbatim, but people might misinterpret your intentions so a little discretion on this matter will go a long way.

Hilarious ...:laughing:

You're telling the man to give up his 'masculinity' , and at the same time he must be a conservative if he wants to get along with Electrical Engineers----------WOW! ..:laughing:

Read this and learn about what you're advocating :laughing:

The kid wants to go to college to become an Electrical Engineer,however he does not need to study the mannerisms of metrosexuals,and conservatism,he should however study Electrical Engineering and strive to become the best in his chosen profession.

Considering the fact that it is the year 2013 at the age of 24 he's got a very good chance of seeing the year 2113 because of the advancement of medical technology will likely make that possible,with that said 24 is not too old to start anything in life.

Some of the guys here are objecting to him walking away from the Union that he's already put in 2 years and should finish the job he started. Many of the Electricians here could not gain admittance into their local Union for one reason or another and had to pay their own way through school while working as an apprentice for an open shop,so when they see someone who wants to walk away from a good thing,being an electricians apprentice in the IBEW IT ticks them off and some of the union men here have also objected as well, someone else could have been in his position for the last 2 years that would have stuck with the Electrical trade in the IBEW and enjoyed the benefit of everything the IBEW Apprenticeship has to offer.

Regardless of how we feel about it,It is up to him to do what he wants and go out and get it,what he wants to do is a big job,I wish him the best of luck in completing this job and becoming the best electrical engineer money can buy.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
The apprenticeship through IBEW lu 702 is an associates in science upon completion. I am wondering if yours is really different. Do you have to fill out registration cards for the JUCO in your area every semester?
That's like 60+ credits? Is it accredited everywhere?

My local was supposed to be 48 credits, but there was no accreditation at any of the local colleges, so what's the point? I think NJIT was willing to honor 10 credits or something like that.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I worked with a lot of engineers before getting in the trade and I will tell you right now the mannerisms are quite different. I probably picked enough vulgar habits before even starting high school to make trying to fit into an top-level electronics engineering environment an uphill battle. I know a few electricians with engineering degrees but their demeanors suggested that they weren't in math club and physics clubs in high school, they seemed like the type that bullied the nerds instead of being nerds. Their careers in engineering went nowhere.

So if you have any tattoos, facial hair (exception: an unkempt full beard), drink more than 4 alcoholic "drinks" a week, have any criminal convictions, or are uncouth or non-conservative you might find it difficult to be accepted in that field (ee/electronics) and -- honestly -- 24 is a rather late start anyways. But if you're polite and have a naturally supple personality you might make it in the engineering world.

Btw, you will likely face contempt from your fellow electricians if you start eluding to the fact that you believe that you are either too good for the trade or the trade isn't good enough for you. I know you're not telling people this verbatim, but people might misinterpret your intentions so a little discretion on this matter will go a long way.
Yeah,
In my case
Tattoos -no
Facial hair-for a while
Drinking - world class expert
Criminal record - no
Uncouth -According to my wife, I am getting better.

I still need work on the polite and supple personality areas.

It is not too late to start a degree program at 24. This is still a difficult choice.

The trend in general EE is that the work can be shipped off shore Electrician's and to a lesser extent power EE work can't be.

I'm not sure what it would be like working in construction at 58. No problem as an EE though.

If you are an EE with an interest in power related systems, you can still get your hands dirty and also get to think, calculate, and be creative. It would be a good idea to go through the PE process to make yourself more valuable. I regret that I didn't.

The union electrician route is a good choice because you will get a lot of valuable training.

EE's use a lot more math than electricians, so make sure you can handle it. Engineers must also know a lot about why things work the way they do in addition to how to efficiently get stuff built.

With either the EE/electrician career paths you should always be willing to take on challenges that make you stretch your abilities. This isn't easy because there are always people who fault you for making mistakes, but it is the best way to avoid obsolescence. Which ever way you go, try to work with the best team. When you rub elbows with the best on a day to day basis, you will learn a lot more than you would otherwise.

I'm starting to ramble now.

EJPHI

·
Registered
80 Posts
You motivation is inspiring. I work at a power company and i was just telling my wife how i wish i would have got into engineering. They do GREAT in my region. It isn't too late for me to start, but i have a set of goals in place to get me where I want to be. The fact that you're a second year tells me that you've taken time to see what you could potentially be letting go. With whatever you do, best wishes and i think you'll be successful.

·
IBEW Local#269
339 Posts
I would think that the Local would want someone with an electrical engineering degree in their ranks.
I was an apprentice with a brother with an electrical engineering degree. He eventually became our educational director. Makes great money for setting up Journeyman courses, running the apprentice school, and conducting CEU classes for our contractors.
He has his own office, a steady job, and he hasn't had to strap on the iron in years.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I would think that the Local would want someone with an electrical engineering degree in their ranks.
I was an apprentice with a brother with an electrical engineering degree. He eventually became our educational director. Makes great money for setting up Journeyman courses, running the apprentice school, and conducting CEU classes for our contractors.
Agreed, that's why I don't think he'll have a problem taking a leave of absence for education.

·
Registered
32,798 Posts
That's like 60+ credits? Is it accredited everywhere?

My local was supposed to be 48 credits, but there was no accreditation at any of the local colleges, so what's the point? I think NJIT was willing to honor 10 credits or something like that.
:thumbsup:

I have heard that over and over, you have non-accredited teachers, NOT professors.

Try taking that to a four year school and tell them you want to blow off the first two years.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
:thumbsup:

I have heard that over and over, you have non-accredited teachers, NOT professors.

Try taking that to a four year school and tell them you want to blow off the first two years.
Yup, they are "instructors" who went down to Tennessee to take a few different courses over the span of 1 week. Even less training than most home inspectors :thumbup:

Now, that is not to say that these instructors are not super smart and EXCELLENT teachers, because the ones in my local are exactly that. But as far as college credits, it's just not happening like they said it would.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Hilarious ...:laughing:

You're telling the man to give up his 'masculinity' , and at the same time he must be a conservative if he wants to get along with Electrical Engineers----------WOW! ..:laughing:

Read this and learn about what you're advocating :laughing:

The kid wants to go to college to become an Electrical Engineer,however he does not need to study the mannerisms of metrosexuals,and conservatism,he should however study Electrical Engineering and strive to become the best in his chosen profession.
Give up his masculinity? Metrosexuals?

You are whacked. :laughing:

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Hello,

I'm really thinking about leaving the union via withdrawal. Would I be allowed to come back easily? Right now im a second year. I dont intend to leave this industry completely. I'd like to know I can come back to this after I get my degree, im 24 years old and education is more of a priority to me right now.
It doesn't hurt to ask. I bet they would be happy to do that especially if book 1 has a lot on it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hello,
I'm really thinking about leaving the union via withdrawal. Would I be allowed to come back easily? Right now im a second year. I dont intend to leave this industry completely. I'd like to know I can come back to this after I get my degree, im 24 years old and education is more of a priority to me right now.
I'd finish your apprenticeship first, you may not get another opportunity. You will earn more money as a journeyman electrician than as a newly graduated engineer. Unless you have a bunch of money laying around, how will you pay for college? Personally I'd advise against student loans if you can instead work your way through college. However, if attending college part-time it will take a really long time to finish your degree unless you plan on having absolutely no life outside of work and school.

·
spaghetti slayer
223 Posts
EE's here don't make what we make.

Plus they have the whip cracked on them hard by the firm.

Like mid-twenties hourly, and they are under alot of stress to churn out the pulp.

I myself like the IE thing. Laying out machinery is the bomb ****.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
keep working in the Union and go to night school. when there's a scheduling conflict with school ask your employer if you can take the little bit of time off for classes.

also if you want to become an engineer go sign up for the reserves, officer training in the Seabees over at Port Hueneme. be a weekend warrior in officer training while you're going to college or at least look into it. or look into other branches of the service go for the officer not the grunt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would say make sure its absolutely what you want to do before you did. When i was in 3rd year i met a 5th year who had an electrical engineering degree already and he told me he made the switch because he made slightly more money but the best part was the insurance and retirement that he was NOT getting as an EE. I'm taking community college PLC classes myself because i enjoy the work and turned out this year at 23 and learned real quick the guys who stay busy are the ones who specialize in the more technical work (troubleshooting, Plc, motor controls, etc). Good luck man whatever path you choose.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
I would say make sure its absolutely what you want to do before you did. When i was in 3rd year i met a 5th year who had an electrical engineering degree already and he told me he made the switch because he made slightly more money but the best part was the insurance and retirement that he was NOT getting as an EE. I'm taking community college PLC classes myself because i enjoy the work and turned out this year at 23 and learned real quick the guys who stay busy are the ones who specialize in the more technical work (troubleshooting, Plc, motor controls, etc). Good luck man whatever path you choose.
keep up the good work, think big in your education goal.
if you could donate some time to Habitat for Humanity, help them out with some wiring
it keep you up on the residential aspects. or help them out with whatever they give you
I've helped out with them it's very rewarding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
keep up the good work, think big in your education goal.
if you could donate some time to Habitat for Humanity, help them out with some wiring
it keep you up on the residential aspects. or help them out with whatever they give you
I've helped out with them it's very rewarding.
Definitely would be interested in this Lep, especially since I'm out of work right now. There is always something to be learned, especially in this trade. Your profile says alcatraz, are you out of Local 6? I'm out of 340 in Sacramento myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

If you're 24, it definitely is not in your best interest to drop the trade unless work is horrible there. As far as the credits, they apply to an associates in applied science degree, if I remember correctly. You're better off spending time at night classes learning building automation, etc, than wasting time on the few classes needed to complete that associates degree. There is plenty to learn in this trade that most don't think about, everything from high voltage substations down to electronics and programming them.

If you're set on being an EE, the apprenticeship program won't really benefit you much. It does cover a lot of theory, but chances are you will be very rusty by the end of the apprenticeship, from lack of using it.

I suppose that it would help if you wanted to be an estimator or PM though, but the biggest gain would be seeing how drawings are applied in real world and where shortcuts and money can be made. However, if you ever did make it to running work and laying out jobs, there would be no reason to toss away $80k a year to go play school and spend $80k on loans to make the same money.

Remember, five years of apprenticeship nets your well into the six figures by the end and guarantees you employment throughout, in many locals. You are talking about giving up those wages, spending nearly six figures and four years, then resuming at the same pay (unless you are top notch, best in class) for another couple of years. You are looking at being in your thirties before you see an actual raise.
That's not very sound planning, to put it nicely. There is too much in this trade for anyone to ever learn and master, your best bet is to try. A very knowledgeable and proficient electrician is worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the support. I do not drink, i dont curse a lot, i dont have a DUI and i dont think i ever even had a beer. I am a bit of a nerd. I dont have the personality many electricians do. I just feel like i dont fit in, has nothing to do with me being better or not than the union. I just feel like i belong with other nerds. I've applied to the Southern California Edison year round internship, i should hear back from them in a few days. I'm hoping something picks up soon. Im eating into my reserve credit line and getting a little scared lol

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.