Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a project to install 9 outdoor 12 volt light fixtures that have 20 watt Incondecent but the home owner wants me to replace the lamps with 4 watt mr16 LEDs. Planning on getting a 50-100 watt timer/transformer but my concern is the LEDs, will they be fine in a sealed fixture? I was once told LEDs need to have a way to be cooled is this true?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
surge03 said:
have a project to install 9 outdoor 12 volt light fixtures that have 20 watt incondecent but the home owner wants me to replace the lamps with 4 watt mr16 leds. Planning on getting a 50-100 watt timer/transformer but my concern is the leds, will they be fine in a sealed fixture? I was once told leds need to have a way to be cooled is this true?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I've used the philips led mr16's, they work great. Make sure to remove the small piece of protective glass, if it's on the trim.

Also have used the ones from Ikea, which are super cheap.. a little dim, but I use them on soffit lights and they do the job great.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FrunkSlammer said:
I've used the philips led mr16's, they work great. Make sure to remove the small piece of protective glass, if it's on the trim. Also have used the ones from Ikea, which are super cheap.. a little dim, but I use them on soffit lights and they do the job great.
If I remove the glass, won't that ruin the fixture from water or sprinklers?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FrunkSlammer said:
Read the instructions on the MR16 LED, it will likely say to remove the glass in the trim to allow airflow and keep the electronics cool. Or don't and they will burn out on a hot day this summer.
Ok, thanks. I had a feeling you would say that lol

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
dmxtothemax said:
These type of led lamps run pretty cool compared to any incandesants ! So if the incandesants didn't overheat neither will the leds . What sort of enviroment do they oparate in ?
Incandescents aren't solid state electronics.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dmxtothemax said:
These type of led lamps run pretty cool compared to any incandesants ! So if the incandesants didn't overheat neither will the leds . What sort of enviroment do they oparate in ?
In the shade near lots of bushes and trees but during the summer it does get hot 90s and near sprinklers

·
Registered
421 Posts
The LED ones run really cool compared to the standard MR16....The problem I had with them is trying to get them to work with a 12 year old Lutron Dimmer pack..We had to go back to the Lutron rep and get different lamps that would work with the old transformers and the dimmer pack. Otherwise if your not dimming..3500k is a great color!!! and be prepared for your customer to complain they are a little bright.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Service guy 1992 said:
These led bulbs are fine to use in incandescent fixtures but make sure they physically fit into fixture,some of the led bulls are larger in size than the incandescents.
Didn't think about that, they look the same. I will look into it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.