Electrician Talk banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
The dimmers have to be labeled for LED?
Yes or they might hum . And you won't get full dimming capability. The led dimmers have a small rotary dial on the face of the dimmer that allows you to play with the range of dimming.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
A little off topic

Two days ago I installed LED inserts that were convertible for 6" and 5" cans and also 4" round boxes. I think they were also adaptable to a single gang also.
I had no idea they were available. I already forgot the brand. They were from a major manufacture.
There was also a 4" can version that was adaptable to 4" round boxes.

·
Light Emitting Decoration
1,323 Posts
Commercial Electric and EcoSmart are Home Depot exclusive. Not all EcoSmart downlights are Cree, but the ones that are Cree are labeled with both Cree and EcoSmart and those are top notch.

LEDs are kind of ok as CFL substitute for household use and I would say Home Depot is a better place than supply house as long as you stick with those brands since they can't BS you with "it could have come from anywhere" when you bring it back to exchange it.

Osram Sylvania makes top class commercial lighting lamps, but I household CFLs and LED bulbs are not really Sylvania.

Their commercial lighting products like FO32T8 Octron that say USA are made in Versailles, Kentucky at the Osram Sylvania factory.

One of their LEDs I have says imported by Osram Sylvania, Made in China which means its not actually made by Sylvania.

This is what you use to test the dimming capability of Light Emitting Decorations:

You need to use the CL version, not the normal version that looks like it.
I've found that many LEDs fail to start or it will pulsate at some location. Many LEDs have inadequate dimming and do not dim as well as incandescent lamps or 1% dimming fluorescent ballast. If the single lamp test in a plug-in socket with this dimmer is not satisfactory, then stop right there. If this goes good, you can generally expect satisfactory functioning using one of the Lutron CL wall dimmers. http://www.lowes.com/pd_13900-539-TTCL-100LH-WH_4294745626__?productId=3274877

Dimmable screw-in CFLs are the worst when it comes to dimming, so dimmable LEDs, while inadequate compared to dimming ballasts will be less inadequate than dimmable CFLs.

A little off topic

Two days ago I installed LED inserts that were convertible for 6" and 5" cans and also 4" round boxes. I think they were also adaptable to a single gang also.
I had no idea they were available. I already forgot the brand. They were from a major manufacture.
There was also a 4" can version that was adaptable to 4" round boxes.
Probably EcoSmart or Commercial Electric. They are major brands in household grade LEDs.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Fiet LED trims, costco. So far only two failures out of 300 or so units installed. Bought 16 4" trims again last week for $7 a pop for a soffit job .

21 - 25 of 25 Posts