Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CPSC announces recall of a large number of LED lightbulbs:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/LED-Light-Bulbs-Recalled-by-Lighting-Science-Group/

LED Light Bulbs Recalled by Lighting Science Group Due to Fire Hazard

Consumers should stop using this product, which is being recalled voluntarily, unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
Recall date: March 19, 2013
Recall number: 13-142

Enlarge
Next Previous DownloadShare

Recall Summary

Name of product: LED Light Bulbs
Hazard: The bulbs can overheat during use, posing a fire hazard.

Remedy: View Details
Replace

Consumer Contact: Lighting Science Group toll free at (855) 574-2533 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at www.lsgc.com/recall
Report an Incident Involving this Product
Recall Details

Units

About 554,000
Description

The 120-volt LED bulbs, sold as 6- 8- and 9-watt bulbs (equivalent to 40 or 50 watts), were marketed under the brand names Definity, EcoSmart, Sylvania and Westinghouse. The model numbers A19, G25 and R20/PAR20 are found on the packaging and on the light-colored circular neck above the base of the bulb where the date code is also printed. The date code reflects the week and year of manufacture; for example date code L4010 was produced during the 40th week of 2010. The date codes listed below may have the letters "CH " or "MX " at the end. For example, date code L4010 can also appear as L4010CH or L4010MX. The date codes are:

L4010
L4110
L4210
L4310
L4410
L4510
L4610
L4710
L4810
L4910
L5010
L5110
L5210
L5310
L0111
L0211
L0311
L0411
L0511
L0611
L0711
L0811
L0911
L1011
L1111
Incidents/Injuries

Lighting Science Group is aware of 68 incidents of product failures, eight of which were accompanied by visible smoke or fire conditions. The incidents include damage to light sockets, melted fixtures, burned rugs/carpet/ floors, damage to a circuit and to a lamp. There have been no reports of personal injuries.
Remedy

Consumers should immediately remove the bulbs from sockets and lamps and contact Light Science Group for replacement bulbs.
Check out any that you may have bought or installed lately.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It was only a matter of time before these started to appear on the bad/junk lists ....

My problem with some of the CFL and LED products out there is the failure of the "drivers" or ballasts as the case may be ....

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
it was only a matter of time before these started to appear on the bad/junk lists ....

My problem with some of the cfl and led products out there is the failure of the "drivers" or ballasts as the case may be ....

i m o

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Thanks for the post. I have 7 of these installed in my kitchen. I was reading it and thought i just better check and what do you know. They were on the clearance rack at menards about 6 monthes ago, they seen the color of the water upstream.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Unrelated to this issue, but I've had to replace many burnt out LED lamps already. Thought they were supposed to last.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Wow, my first sticky thread...:thumbup:

Thanks Marc. :thumbup:

So true. Yet this is how we are "green" and "advanced". :rolleyes:

Ya welcome on this one and that the reason why I put a sticky quick due I knew something big is comming up with the recall link so it will stay up there to give the other members the time to read the details.

Merci,
Marc

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,810 Posts
" Customer agree's to provide all Fixtures, lamps, and appliances at the above named project, and we will install same."

It is in all my residential contracts. I didn't provide those lamps your honor, the customer gave them to me to install. It's on them......

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
" Customer agree's to provide all Fixtures, lamps, and appliances at the above named project, and we will install same."

It is in all my residential contracts. I didn't provide those lamps your honor, the customer gave them to me to install. It's on them......

I came to the same conclusion years ago.....~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
some creedance needs be given to first impressions jrannis

for ex, we're all keen to the waste incandesants create in heat....

~CS~

·
Registered
39 Posts
Damn!... those were the only ones I liked! They don't look like something found in a futuristic movie... I hope they fix the problem and continue to produce them. For you conservative 'I don't wan to change' folks... "68 incidents reported" for these LED bulbs... how many fatal fires have been created by the 'too hot to touch' incandescent bulbs?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Damn!... those were the only ones I liked! They don't look like something found in a futuristic movie... I hope they fix the problem and continue to produce them. For you conservative 'I don't wan to change' folks... "68 incidents reported" for these LED bulbs... how many fatal fires have been created by the 'too hot to touch' incandescent bulbs?

Too hot to touch beats open flames every day of the week. I'm all for saving energy, and I embrace new technology. But never at the expense of safety. Keep in mind that incandescents have only a tiny mass of combustible material, where LED's have a lot of plastic that can sustain flame long enough to set surrounding materials ablaze. So LED's are not inherently safe. The technology is good, but the construction is lacking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Of course I found a negative about them... they have a rubber type of coating which may be great if it prevents shattering as a coated bulb does, but I'm thinking they may get dirty fast and hard to clean vs. a glass bulb. We'll see. Not willing to take a hammer to a 13.00 bulb just yet...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts