Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are electricians dealing with these mirrors? It seems they are getting popular and the homeowners are buying them on line now. I had no questions about them last year but now the ones people are buying on line look questionable. Basically they are120 volts with only two small wires coming out the back. Aluminum frame- sealed unit. No ground and hard wired out the back. No NRTL stickers and very limited documentation. As I said many times, Amazon will sell anything.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
758 Posts
Havent seen one yet, but if they arent metal, it's common for them not to be grounded, and the wires are sized for the load of the LEDs.

·
Estwing magic
25,671 Posts
If it isn’t listed then don’t install it. I have only done one and I can’t remember what I did so I’m no help. :(

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the ones in the past had a NRTL label with wiring compartments and grounding. Yesterday I installed three for a very good paying customer. I mentioned the requirements and I install them on a GFCI circuit. I have two more on Monday.
People have to be educated and companies should not be selling stuff that is not safe. But tell Amazon that.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I have not installed one yet, but i assumed you would just wire it up like anything else.

Why does it need to be on a GFI circuit?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If your looking for a lighted mirror for a bathroom vanity they are available at Home Depot Go here
They all seem to come with a 3 wire connection. I guess the GFCI requirement is because they are in a wet location, in a bathroom setting.
You can also find them at Lamps Plus, Ferguson's and other places. I have never installed one but the concept is cool.
Most of them are for vanities but the ones at Ferguson's are also available for other applications. Go here

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not installed one yet, but i assumed you would just wire it up like anything else.

Why does it need to be on a GFI circuit?
It is 120 volts on a metal frame installed over the sinks. I would consider this a light fixture therefore it needs a grounding method. No grounding method leaves a shock potential with the sink.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your looking for a lighted mirror for a bathroom vanity they are available at Home Depot Go here
They all seem to come with a 3 wire connection. I guess the GFCI requirement is because they are in a wet location, in a bathroom setting.
You can also find them at Lamps Plus, Ferguson's and other places. I have never installed one but the concept is cool.
Most of them are for vanities but the ones at Ferguson's are also available for other applications. Go here
View attachment 155766
I don't need it. The builders or homeowners are supplying them but they do not know what they are buying. On another thread we talked about " Listed equipment " and " equipment made with listed components ". If they bought them from a local supplier there would be no problem. They are buying them online.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
It is 120 volts on a metal frame installed over the sinks. I would consider this a light fixture therefore it needs a grounding method. No grounding method leaves a shock potential with the sink.
There’s millions of vanity light fixtures that are within reach of the bathroom sink and they are not required by the code to be GFI protected.

As far as i know the only light fixtures required to be GFI protected are the ones over hot tubs and pools. Not over bathroom sinks.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There’s millions of vanity light fixtures that are within reach of the bathroom sink and they are not required by the code to be GFI protected.

As far as i know the only light fixtures required to be GFI protected are the ones over hot tubs and pools. Not over bathroom sinks.
Not required to be GFCI but they are required to be grounded. These mirrors are not grounded. They have no provisions for a ground.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I see what you mean now. There’s not a ground wire or a ground terminal to hook up to, right?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see what you mean now. There’s not a ground wire or a ground terminal to hook up to, right?
Yes, at least for some safety I installed a gfci device. If the install was for a stranger or new customer I would have walked.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

Normally a vanity light is controlled by a wall switch but some of the mirrors I looked at are just touch to turn on. Maybe that's the reason?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've installed one recently that was hardwired(with a bond wire) so it was an octagon box mounted on a stud with a 4004 connector coming out of the box cover. CSA approved but a bit of a hassle to mount, the framer didn't put studs where he said he would for the mirror so it wasn't centered over the sink, glad I had my stud finder but now I can't sleep without nightmares of it being off center.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
its no different than installing a Demister Mirror

i would expect electrical installations within a wet environment eg: bathroom to be protected by a GFI

water and electricity is never a safe mix, so the films tell me

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
So do all these LED mirrors not have a ground wire or just the brand that the OP installed?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So do all these LED mirrors not have a ground wire or just the brand that the OP installed?
The ones that were bought from a local supplier had the correct methods and wiring. They were also $$$. The last couple were bought on Amazon. I do not supply these items.

·
Conductor Protector
256 Posts
I refused to install one awhile ago because luckily I remembered to check (after unboxing) for a certification sticker and there wasn’t one. “Sorry ma’am I can’t install and connect this. Send it back.” She probably got someone else to put it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've installed one recently that was hardwired(with a bond wire) so it was an octagon box mounted on a stud with a 4004 connector coming out of the box cover. CSA approved but a bit of a hassle to mount, the framer didn't put studs where he said he would for the mirror so it wasn't centered over the sink, glad I had my stud finder but now I can't sleep without nightmares of it being off center.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Better to lose sleep over not being centered than to lose sleep over it falling off the wall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts