Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LED lighting (except for cost) seem great so far. I know how diodes work, but would like to find a breakdown on just how LED lighting works. Guess I could google it. Any tips?
Any negatives to LED lighting? I haven't found any. Long lasting, low power, more and more different shades of light, dimmable.

Do they make them in low voltage? ..not that I'd go that way.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
LED's are great, swapped most of the bulbs in my house with LED's and swapped many customers.. they do vary in colour temperature. Usually I buy one of a bulb type try it and if I like it, I'll buy more of them.. usually waiting for some eco-rebate incentive that knocks $5 off a lamp.

They do come in low voltage as well. The only downside is they give you cancer and they will burn out prematurely if they overheat.. so cooling/ventilation is important.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,298 Posts
I'm switching all of our CFLs to LED. Since LED prices havent coming down to CFL prices yet, I'm working directly with some factories in China through AliBaba and AliExpress and getting my LED bulbs for $2-10. I love them. The once I've been buying are better performing than the cheapest US home center LED bulbs, not as good as the name brands. So far out of ~150 bulbs I've had one arrived damaged, and one fail within a few weeks. That's better odds than the home center stuff.

LED light quality is better than CFLs for sure. You can actually make the argument that it's better light quality than halogen/incandescent. LED white (3000-3500k) is actually more of a pure white than an incandescent which looks very very yellow in comparison.

I have my first order of dimmable LEDs on their way to me now, and I am skeptical. When I need dimming, I still stick to halogen.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Luton makes a whole lineup of dimmers for cols and leds that are also still compatible with incandescents and halogens . I only use the home depot brand commercial electric 5-6 inch led recess trims for 19.99. A few dollars more for a superior product and have been installing them for almost a yr and half and have had zero issues. Just wish now they would make a angled ceiling trim. Also check out Al the retrofit kits that go into a 4 inch round box ,4 inch sq,5 inch recess and 6 inch recess. There 40 bucks and made by Halo.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,061 Posts
Be careful with LED fixtures-- not the bulb type but the fixtures with drivers. I have seen many an ec go crazy because the afci won't hold.

We are using a can made by 3G in Canada and I had them purchase a sample so I could hook it up and see if the afci was an issue. Fortunately it wasn't with this one but the designer had another one with a remote driver and it tripped every time. It is good to get this worked out before they get installed.

·
1,298 Posts
I dont like R anything. I like PAR's. Island Guy can come get my whole stash of 150w R40's. I have at least a dozen.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I put the 5" commercial electric led trims in my kitchen at home, $19.99 on sale. I make it half way across my kitchen before they turn on. Is this a standard thing, or because i bought the cheepest trim kit?

·
1,298 Posts
Of my LEDs, some have a delay of a second or less, some do not. It seems unrelated to price. The cheapest and the most expensive turn on right away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts