Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer wants LED puck lights for under cabinet lighting. These are 12 volt LEDs. Has anybody installed these through regular switches with lamp cord or #14 NMC? I'm thinking about putting the power supplies in the basement (they plug into a receptacle) and running the low voltage supply wires through regular wall switches to the lights.

Any suggestion?

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
I haven't used LED pucks, just the other kind (halogen?), but you might want to make sure whatever low voltage wire you use is rated for concealment. The inspectors here always check for that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wouldent run the low voltage load wires through your switch, you always want to switch your line side in case of future changes. As far as load wire type, you don't have to worry as much about voltage drop with LED lights because the wattage is very low, usually 3 watts for most LED pucks I've installed. I see alot guys run the low voltage landscape cable for L.V lighting which I think is a mistake because It is classified as a cord which is a no no running through walls, I use in wall speaker wire for my low voltage load wiring.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I usually run #16 since the wattage is so low you really don't have to worry about v drop, do the calc. LED's are really nice alot of the lighting designers I work with are starting to really use them alot. I have a landscape lighting project coming up and out of 234 lights 122 are LED's. actually heres the louis poulsen site http://www.louispoulsen.com/en-us.aspx go to product then click on inground & onground. Let me know what you think I'm using the LP nap, tripos mini, nimbus power LED, dex, and wee bee clear the LP nap are $ 850 a piece :w00t:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm using regular 14-2 NMC and collecting the feeds where I can use LV transformers OR switch over to line voltage when the customer realizes the LEDs aren't going to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.