Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of changing lamps and ballasts in my garage so I'm looking to replace the lighting (14 x 4' x 2 lamp T8's) with LED's that will give me good light, last nearly forever and save me some energy. I know what I can find on google, but what are you guys installing that you'd suggest? Price isn't my main consideration, but it's obviously a factor.

The garage is heated so it doesn't go below freezing, but I often have the thermostat set at about 4 degrees C (40F). Thanks!

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,053 Posts
I have replaced the ballasts with a driver and new LED bulbs but they make bulbs that will connect right to the fluorescent sockets with no remote driver- the LED's get 120V from the sockets. Not sure what is better.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have replaced the ballasts with a driver and new LED bulbs but they make bulbs that will connect right to the fluorescent sockets with no remote driver- the LED's get 120V from the sockets. Not sure what is better.
Do you have a brand/model that you've been happy with? Thanks!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I'm sick of changing lamps and ballasts in my garage so I'm looking to replace the lighting (14 x 4' x 2 lamp T8's) with LED's that will give me good light, last nearly forever and save me some energy. I know what I can find on google, but what are you guys installing that you'd suggest? Price isn't my main consideration, but it's obviously a factor.

The garage is heated so it doesn't go below freezing, but I often have the thermostat set at about 4 degrees C (40F). Thanks!

I would use T-5 HO fixtures, they're great with the cold air.

The T-8's you've been using are not good for cold air applications and that's why their lifespan has been short.

let the price of LED's come down some-more and let them build up a better track record.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would use T-5 HO fixtures, they're great with the cold air.

The T-8's you've been using are not good for cold air applications and that's why their lifespan has been short.

let the price of LED's come down some-more and let them build up a better track record.
I did look in to T5 HO's but they're ridiculously expensive here so I thought if the LED's were close, I'd go that route now. Do you know what a 4', 2 lamps T5 HO is worth in the US? I've got a place in Idaho and could bring some back with me at Easter. I'm not paying the $135 the wholesaler wants for them here. :eek:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I did look in to T5 HO's but they're ridiculously expensive here so I thought if the LED's were close, I'd go that route now. Do you know what a 4', 2 lamps T5 HO is worth in the US? I've got a place in Idaho and could bring some back with me at Easter. I'm not paying the $135 the wholesaler wants for them here. :eek:
You guys are getting ripped off up there:eek:

I've had real good luck with these so far, the lamps are about $8 each,,,$ 49 at Grainger :laughing:

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-L...rip-Light-ZR-2-54T5HO-MVOLT-GEB10PS/203137160

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts