Electrician Talk banner

LED Shallow Trims - Suggestions?

7K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  duque00 
#1 ·
Ok, I dropped the ball on this one. I have ten 6" shallow Halo Cans (H27ICAT) in the basement. I bought 1 of each of the Ecosmart LED Retrofits. 1- 2700k and 1 - 5000k to let the homeowner see the color difference and make a decision on which light he likes. The other 8 cans are temped out with "A" lamps for now.

Well even though the box says, "Will fit most standard and shallow cans" it doesn't. About 1.5 - 2" short from being flush. I am looking for suggestions. The homeowner is BIG into LED so that is the most likely route I am going. He is also not in CFL's either as he is replacing them with LED lamps.

A one piece light/trim would be preferred but if price is right and the home owner likes I can do bulb and trim separately.

Man I feel like Qbert......

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
MFDagger - I know of those - Commercial Electric right? I heard they hum alot. I understand the reviews could be from Homeowners who didn't change the dimmer to a LED dimmer.

NRP - I found the brochure online and looking it at - seems though limited on trims - thanks for the advice.

Mbed - I did remove the flap to see if I can get more clearance and with it removed still fell short. Those look good I will check them out.

Doc - interesting idea. You are always hard-core!!

#12 ·
Looking forward to it 3D! Thanks.

Went to the local HD this afternoon - and saw the following options:

Halo - RL560WH - price $50 3000k 9.4w 600 Lumens

Lithonia -6BPMW M4 - price $30 8.9w 620 Lumens

Both will fit the shallow cans.

Also, Commercial Electric had 3 models (T60/T65/T67) - these will fit the shallow cans as well - but I'm leary with the CE stuff.

Anybody ever used the above Halo or Lithonia?

#14 ·
Right now I have 2 Ecosmarts (1 - 2700k & 1 - 5000k ) sitting 1.5 inches out of 2 separate cans.

I am awaiting word from the home owner on what he likes. I got 8 cans in the basement and 6 cans in the living room. I like the 5000k for the basement - (Washer/Dryer/Mechanical/storage) and 2700k for the living room, but again it is his decision. I also like the 5000k for outdoors. (Brighter light - better security).

I have to look into Halo & Lithonia if they have different "K" values.

#17 ·
No not much on 3" cans here - most of my LED work is retrofit and 6". I do have some 4" retrofit work coming up - I am going to use the 5000k ecosmart 4" retro. (Security - driveway sofits)

I did do 5000k 6" retros in a kitchen with a black slate floor/black granite and the whole kitchen popped. The customer loved it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.