Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LEDs light up the Edison monument

This summer, when the monument to Thomas Alva Edison on Christie Street reopens after two years of renovations, a small but symbolically significant change will take place.

The 14-foot-tall glass replica light bulb on top of the 118-foot-tall tower will no longer burn with an array of incandescent bulbs, Edison's signature invention. The project calls for changing the lights to the new LED bulbs,

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.s...nger_burn_with_thomas_edisons_lightbulbs.html

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is still being honored. He invented the electrical system that made electric lighting a better alternative then gas lighting. In doing so, he invented house wiring and commercial wiring. He trained the first electricians.

BTW LEDs work on DC. They can not be directly connected to AC.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I viewed this thread on my DC powered flat screen connected to my DC powered Laptop.

Perhaps they will use a system like this.

Also catching on are DC lighting circuits. Emerge Alliance, a consortium based in San Ramon, California, that advocates for DC power distribution in commercial buildings, has established a standard for 24-volt DC ceiling circuits and says that running LED ceiling lights on DC lines uses up to 15 percent less energy than doing the AC-to-DC switch inside the fixtures. Emerge is now working on bringing DC power to employees’ desktops, letting them plug in computers or phones without the need for hot-running converter boxes.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/427504/edisons-revenge-the-rise-of-dc-power/

They could feed the system with HVDC to power That way it will use less energy and be safer.

http://new.abb.com/about/hvdc-grid
http://www.cleanlineenergy.com/technology/hvdc/how
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-voltage_direct_current

·
Registered
656 Posts
24 volts DC?

Sure, it will use less energy, but the added wire sizing you'll need to allow for the massive voltage drop may not make it practical.

Also, how is DC "safer" than AC, at the same voltage?

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...Also, how is DC "safer" than AC, at the same voltage?
I don't know how high the voltage has to be before they are equally dangerous, but the threshold of perception is higher for DC than AC, and low levels of AC are more likely to disrupt the rhythm of your heart than the same voltage of DC.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Perhaps, but I think DC is harder to let go of, because it's not pulsing.

I thought the general consensus was that over 50 volts, AC is safer.

But maybe that's assuming only if your heart doesn't stop. :cool2:

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Also catching on are DC lighting circuits. Emerge Alliance, a consortium based in San Ramon, California, that advocates for DC power distribution in commercial buildings, has established a standard for 24-volt DC ceiling circuits and says that running LED ceiling lights on DC lines uses up to 15 percent less energy than doing the AC-to-DC switch inside the fixtures. Emerge is now working on bringing DC power to employees’ desktops, letting them plug in computers or phones without the need for hot-running converter boxes.
Wonderful. Add 4 more conductors to office cubicle wiring harnesses...
I wonder if there'll be orange isolated ground DC receptacles too???

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I don't know how high the voltage has to be before they are equally dangerous, but the threshold of perception is higher for DC than AC, and low levels of AC are more likely to disrupt the rhythm of your heart than the same voltage of DC.

I think it is more likely that most non technical people associate DC
with low voltage, so low voltage would also be perceived as low risk.

Maybe not true but thats the way most non technical people would see it

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
As for leds,
I think that if we could time travel ?
And bring Edison into the future ?
I think he would be fasinated by LEDs

As we all where at first.

Lets stop labelling these people and get on with life.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was nice of him to invent the electrical system that made electric lighting a better alternative then gas lighting. and to invent house wiring and commercial wiring, and to train the first electricians.

It would be hard to have a Electrician talk forum without a electrical industry.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It was nice of him to invent the electrical system that made electric lighting a better alternative then gas lighting. and to invent house wiring and commercial wiring, and to train the first electricians.

It would be hard to have a Electrician talk forum without a electrical industry.
It's silly to think he was the only one in the emerging electrical industry at the time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.