Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm thinking about moving to New York State (upstate area) in a few years and want to know what the licensing requirements are. I'll be moving from Colorado where there is a state mandated apprentice program that includes 288 hours of classroom and 8000 hours of on the job to be able to sit for the journeyman test. My plan is to get my JW in Colorado and then move to NY. Does NY recognize other states licenses? Would I have to take their test. Any info on the licensing in NY state would be great.

·
Registered
659 Posts
County and townships have their own licenses. I know in Suffolk county, down on Long Island there is a masters license that covers the entire county.

But in Nassau county you need a license in basically every township.

If you are to move to upstate New York places like buffalo, and Albany have a masters that covers the city.

Not sure if the license is transferable.

My next question is, who the hell would want to move to upstate New York!?

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,747 Posts
My next question is, who the hell would want to move to upstate New York!?
When I left LI I thought who in the hell would stay on LI?!? :laughing:

Does NY recognize other states licenses? Would I have to take their test. Any info on the licensing in NY state would be great.
As far as I know, no. An out of state license means nothing.
Licenses up here are few and far between and there is NO statewide license. Depends on where you are looking to go. There are a few county licenses, and also local municipalities.

What area are you looking into?

·
Registered
659 Posts
As much as I hate it, I am Strong Island born and raised!

The most regulated area in New York (electrical licensing speaking) is Manhattan, the boroughs, white planes, and Nassau/Suffolk.

Stricter regulations, more payment demand (hopefully).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I left LI I thought who in the hell would stay on LI?!? :laughing:

As far as I know, no. An out of state license means nothing.
Licenses up here are few and far between and there is NO statewide license. Depends on where you are looking to go. There are a few county licenses, and also local municipalities.

What area are you looking into?
I'm currently doing a little of everything. Light industrial, a little commercial but mostly residential. I'd like to go more commercial if possible but anything field will do.

Or are you asking what area of New York? My wife grew up out side of buffalo, but we have been kinda looking at the Utica, Rome, New Hartford area or possibly the other side of the Adirondacks.

So is waiting to get my JW not necessary or will having that be worth wile in my job hunt?

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I'm currently doing a little of everything. Light industrial, a little commercial but mostly residential. I'd like to go more commercial if possible but anything field will do.

Or are you asking what area of New York? My wife grew up out side of buffalo, but we have been kinda looking at the Utica, Rome, New Hartford area or possibly the other side of the Adirondacks.

So is waiting to get my JW not necessary or will having that be worth wile in my job hunt?
It will be worthwhile if you leave NY and move to a State the reciprocates with Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,747 Posts
So where would you recommend in NY state?
Where you suggest is FINE. No, you won't get rich like is most people's fantasy but you'll do fine if you are good, and you will be living in a beautiful area with nice people.

I'm in the Hudson Valley and would move to the Adirondacks in a heartbeat and live there year-round. Family constraints are mainly preventing it.
I'd also move to Vt, NH or Me in a heartbeat.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
Doing all right here in southern NH. I think given the opportunity to sit for a license, I would take it. Look at some of the state websites to see what reciprocates. We reciprocate with ME, VT, and MA thankfully. I have the MA license as well and it wasn't too bad of a process to get at the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts