Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm trying to get a license in Colorado, and its turned into one big clusterfuk. I got licensed in California last year, but for some odd reason, the test was based off of 2008 electrical code and not 2011. Why is beyond me. The reason is because they are morons. So now because of this, Colorado won't accept the results of my test and I have to retake it in Colorado. Of course by this logic, everyone in Colorado who is licensed should be required to retake the test every time a new version comes out.

But anyways, Colorado also offers temporary 30 day permits for those to wait to take the test as long as they qualify. I was thinking of just getting this and say screw taking the test again. How strict are contractors on this? If I'm already with a contractor, and my temporary license expires, will they really not let me work anymore? No wonder they can't fill their calls.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Well I'm trying to get a license in Colorado, and its turned into one big clusterfuk. I got licensed in California last year, but for some odd reason, the test was based off of 2008 electrical code and not 2011. Why is beyond me. The reason is because they are morons. So now because of this, Colorado won't accept the results of my test and I have to retake it in Colorado. Of course by this logic, everyone in Colorado who is licensed should be required to retake the test every time a new version comes out.

But anyways, Colorado also offers temporary 30 day permits for those to wait to take the test as long as they qualify. I was thinking of just getting this and say screw taking the test again. How strict are contractors on this? If I'm already with a contractor, and my temporary license expires, will they really not let me work anymore? No wonder they can't fill their calls.

That is stupid, good luck on the test.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
henderson14 said:
Well I'm trying to get a license in Colorado, and its turned into one big clusterfuk. I got licensed in California last year, but for some odd reason, the test was based off of 2008 electrical code and not 2011. Why is beyond me. The reason is because they are morons. So now because of this, Colorado won't accept the results of my test and I have to retake it in Colorado. Of course by this logic, everyone in Colorado who is licensed should be required to retake the test every time a new version comes out. But anyways, Colorado also offers temporary 30 day permits for those to wait to take the test as long as they qualify. I was thinking of just getting this and say screw taking the test again. How strict are contractors on this? If I'm already with a contractor, and my temporary license expires, will they really not let me work anymore? No wonder they can't fill their calls.
. This is another reason that individual state licensing not being reciprocal , is stupid ! Come up with a national standard that all states follow , and work wherever you want . It's all about generating money , but the current system stinks !

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
. This is another reason that individual state licensing not being reciprocal , is stupid ! Come up with a national standard that all states follow , and work wherever you want . It's all about generating money , but the current system stinks !
So... you want FEDERAL licensing standards? Just everyone remember that when you pine for "States Rights."

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
IslandGuy said:
So... you want FEDERAL licensing standards? Just everyone remember that when you pine for "States Rights."
. I live in jersey , we have no rights , lol ! I just think , that when everyone takes essentially the same test , it would be nice if there was some reciprocity with other states . I know it will never happen . The scarier part is the fact that some states still don't even have licensing at all !

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
. I live in jersey , we have no rights , lol ! I just think , that when everyone takes essentially the same test , it would be nice if there was some reciprocity with other states . I know it will never happen . The scarier part is the fact that some states still don't even have licensing at all !
The thing is, not all tests are essentially the same. Not all states are even on the same code cycle. Some states require school hours and verification of field time to take the licensing exam, some states just require you to pay a fee to get a license. Some states have no licensing at all. The states are all over the place on this, that is why there will never be blanket reciprocity.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So no one really answered my question. When do they check for your license? The contractor? The hall before you get sent out? Do they enforce it?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
So no one really answered my question. When do they check for your license? The contractor? The hall before you get sent out? Do they enforce it?
If the law requires you to have a license to work, I would hope the contractor would make sure you have a license before they allow you to work. Of course they could put you to work as an apprentice I assume.

Why do you think the rules wouldn't apply to you? The laws apply to everyone, you don't get special privileges just because you are in the union.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the law requires you to have a license to work, I would hope the contractor would make sure you have a license before they allow you to work. Of course they could put you to work as an apprentice I assume.

Why do you think the rules wouldn't apply to you? The laws apply to everyone, you don't get special privileges just because you are in the union.
As I already said in my post, I would get a temporary 30 day license. I wasn't asking what you "hoped" would happen either. I was asking what does happen or they allow to happen.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
As I already said in my post, I would get a temporary 30 day license. I wasn't asking what you "hoped" would happen either. I was asking what does happen or they allow to happen.
Right, you said you would get a temporary 30 day license and then when it expires you would continue working illegally. I am from Massachusetts. I have no knowledge of the laws in Colorado. However, I would say it's a pretty safe bet that if they require a license to work, then it's required. They probably aren't going to change the rules for you.

Just an educated guess on my part that when you get hired the contractor will want proof of licensure. When you show them your temporary 30 day license, after 30 days they will expect to see either some proof of an extension of the temporary license or a permanent license. Like I said, I don't know how things work in Colorado, but they most likely don't have licensing laws on the books just for the hell of it. In MA we don't have temporary licensing so it's not something I'm familiar with. Here you're either licensed or you're not. No gray area.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Or areas within some states. We've got land upstate NY. To build a house we don't need permits or inspections for anything less than 1400 sq. ft. The utility has some standards for services, but whatever happens beyond the meter they couldn't care less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts