Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we wire new homes for some of the lights we use metal boxes and for other lights we use nail-in plastic ones. Why do we use different boxes?

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
When we wire new homes for some of the lights we use metal boxes and for other lights we use nail-in plastic ones. Why do we use different boxes?
The plastic ones are probably for the lower weight lights, while the metal ones are for heavier fan/chandeller type lights.

·
Estwing magic
26,397 Posts
Personal preference. Plastic octagon boxes are usually deeper. We also used a flanged airtight plastic box for insulated ceilings.

And...like the other dude said, maybe weight.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And the plastic boxes suck running 8-32's up in. At least the crappy ones my boss buys do. Metal boxes for porcelains and similar lights the screws just drive in so smooth. And like the other guy said, weight of fixture to be installed has a part in it too.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Yes, I figured fan rated had something to do with it. What about weight - is it 25lbs or heavier that needs a metal box?
Yes I believe 25lbs for plastic
50 lbs or less off a standard metal box more than that must be supported independently, like lags into framing through the fixture bracket or a box rated for more than 50lbs. Ceiling fans need to be supported by fan rated boxes.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
on old metal boxes i have drilled and tapped the box to make #10s go all the way through for fans. whats the difference between that and anew box of the same thing when they are well anchored above? just that some engineer didnt come up with it!:whistling2:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
on old metal boxes i have drilled and tapped the box to make #10s go all the way through for fans. whats the difference between that and anew box of the same thing when they are well anchored above? just that some engineer didnt come up with it!:whistling2:
I've done the same thing.. and I sleep well at night. If I can pull on and almost hang from a box and it doesn't move, I have no concern about it holding up a ceiling fan.

Those old metal boxes from the 60's and 70's were some serious heavy duty steel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts