Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a situation where a wall mounted light fixture has a small gap in the drywall around the edge.

Rather than fix and paint the drywall, does anyone know of a trim plate that would go in between the wall and the fixture?

All I can think of is a medallion, but I don't think it would really look right.

Any ideas? (I've Googled just about every phrase I could think of to find this part)

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
I have a situation where a wall mounted light fixture has a small gap in the drywall around the edge.

Rather than fix and paint the drywall, does anyone know of a trim plate that would go in between the wall and the fixture?

All I can think of is a medallion, but I don't think it would really look right.

Any ideas? (I've Googled just about every phrase I could think of to find this part)
How big is the gap and what does the other side look like? Can you shift the box and get by with a tiny bead of acrylic caulk?

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
Not saying it isn't done, but I have never seen a medallion used on a wall.
Also, not aware of another product, but I have to ask - what's so difficult about a little mud and some touch up paint?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,071 Posts
Does the CEC not have a regulation similar to this in the NEC?

314.21 Repairing Noncombustible Surfaces. Noncombustible
surfaces that are broken or incomplete around boxes
employing a flush-type cover or faceplate shall be repaired
so there will be no gaps or open spaces greater than 3 mm
(1⁄8 in.) at the edge of the box.
I have seen some fixtures that may not even hide that

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Some canopies on light fixtures , especially wall sconces , are so small , they barely cover the box.

When all else fails , ask your journeyman !

One of the worst offenders , that sell light fixtures is IK*A . :whistling2: I M O .

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Does the CEC not have a regulation similar to this in the NEC?

I have seen some fixtures that may not even hide that
But in the real world, if we had to fix, or wait for the drywallers to fix, every miss cut mud ring, no house on the planet would be complete.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,071 Posts
I always check before hand if I know what fixtures is going in so that I have the correct box. Some sconces demand a switch type box not a round box.

Reactions: Next72969

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,071 Posts
But in the real world, if we had to fix, or wait for the drywallers to fix, every miss cut mud ring, no house on the planet would be complete.

In the real world I train the sheet rockers and builders to do what I need done to pass inspection. If they get called back a few times and delay the job then they will learn to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1 Posts

You can use a "Goof Ring" or a ceiling medallion to fix this problem. It seems that ceiling medallions are more for a decorative fix and seem more bulky and harder to install but Goof Rings are more discreet and a quicker install and fix the problem for much cheaper and easier in my opinion. I had this problem for a project I was working on and found custom cut Goof Rings made out of white acrylic from a company called 1800ceiling.com (linked below). It seems like they're the only company that offer custom cut rings and other shapes that fix this problem and shipped them so quick I got them in a few days using standard ground shipping and they worked perfectly for my issue and I had them cut to the measurement I needed. They also make square ones to cover Lotus LED lights and other hi-hats. Added some pictures below from their product listing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts