Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Beside when turning on a heavy load like a A/C What is the most common causes that cause light to flicker when running on generator power ?.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Excessive wear , loose connections, .

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
low fuel, under powered or over loaded generator, etc...
Basically the same this?

What types of lights?

Natural gas - Gas pressure, carburetor operation
Diesel bad fuel

The governor type and how it was set up), type of loads such as UPS with a high harmonic content, multiple motor loads.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Hi

Beside when turning on a heavy load like a A/C What is the most common causes that cause light to flicker when running on generator power ?.

Either the load on the generator is not stable ?
Or the speed of the generator is not stable ?

The output voltage of a genny is dependant on two main things the load on the genny and the speed of the genny.

If the load is stable ?
Then check that the genny is getting a good steady flow of air and fuel, if any of the filters are clogged this can effect engine speed too !

If any one of these things vary, then the output voltage will also vary.

So if the element in the hot water kicks out,
then the voltage will rise, until the regulator can compensate.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the flicker momentary or continuous?
It is continuous, the florescent lights and incandescent bulbs does the same thing but mostly noticeable on the florescent.

Its a 16 KVA 230V 50HZ diesel

speed looks pretty stable

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
It is continuous, the florescent lights and incandescent bulbs does the same thing but mostly noticeable on the florescent.

Its a 16 KVA 230V 50HZ diesel

speed looks pretty stable
What is the measured frequency and voltage?

Magnetic or electronic ballast?

What else is on this generator?

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
For you to have a continuous noticable flicker on an incandescent you've got a repeated undervoltage.

If this is an intermittent flicker, I'd say bad connection. If it's perfectly periodic, and I'm assuming you're seeing stable frequency, I'd start by looking at the output from the AVR. I'm wondering if your rectifier circuit is bad and you're getting half-wave output to the field.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
You know Ive seen the same before in florescent lights running on generator power. I wouldn't be surprised if the harmonics from them are bothering the voltage control system.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
You know Ive seen the same before in florescent lights running on generator power. I wouldn't be surprised if the harmonics from them are bothering the voltage control system.
The lights would have to be a significant portion of the load maybe a 1/3 or more?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had problems with a Lutron dimming system causing dimmable fluorescents to flicker very badly when on generator power. Are they on dimmers?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts