Electrician Talk banner

Light switch with low and high voltage possible?

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  tenny80 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I actually work in the CCTV field and I have a client that wants the system wired into a light switch so that when the light comes on the system starts to record. All that I need for my system is an open or closed circuit.

So basically I need a light switch that controls the light still but has a completely separate circuit for my CCTV connection but that is still controlled by the switch.

Any ideas would be appreciated. An electrician will do all of the wiring I just need to know that it can be done and what is needed (i'd like to test it first to cofirm it works with my system).

#5 ·
Surely a photo cell would open the low voltage circuit when the light is on .

I think what the H O wants , is the low voltage circuit to close when the light is on .

Unless there are photo cells made to operate that way .

#7 · (Edited)
I thought or atleast I have seen. some cctv that have.an input supply of 110 to 240v ac that way it can be wired in series with the switch and will only record when the light is on
OR
incase of low voltage cctv you can use a relay as already mentioned. you can wire the coil of the relay with power from the switch(you will need a neutral depending with coil voltage) and use the NO contacts to your cctv.its that easy

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
imo for the most reliable and simple install a cube relay powered off the switch leg makes the most sense. cheap, a breeze to install especially if theres a drop ceiling. i dont like the photocell idea because they are less reliable and also may not react immediately

#11 ·
Hippie said:
imo for the most reliable and simple install a cube relay powered off the switch leg makes the most sense. cheap, a breeze to install especially if theres a drop ceiling. i dont like the photocell idea because they are less reliable and also may not react immediately
With the occupancy sensor you can eliminate the switch and have the sensor control the lights and the tv

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.