Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting, also it could be something that heats up the mercury faster .
I think they were 200w. You might be right about heating up faster because there is flasher controlling it that switches it on and off in a sequence. There is a relay on the changer that we had to put a shield around because the lens was focusing the sun on it and melting it.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Very cool. Only 200W? I'm surprised.

I don't get the idea behind the "bulb changer". Is it actually something that physically moves the lamps, or does it just detect current loss in one lamp and electrically switch to another?

I once worked on a radio-tower light controller that did that electrically, and it would send an alarm to notify someone the first lamp was out.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts

I don't get the idea behind the "bulb changer". Is it actually something that physically moves the lamps, or does it just detect current loss in one lamp and electrically switch to another?

I once worked on a radio-tower light controller that did that electrically, and it would send an alarm to notify someone the first lamp was out.
If its low voltage it might be. LV lamps are far more efficient. And no need to lock out tag out/ PPE for bulb change:jester:

·
13,020 Posts
They are incandescent. I went on the tour of Yaquina Head Lighthouse and they have a similar setup. The bulbs they use were 1500 watt incandescents or some such. The fresnel lens is the coolest part.

Reactions: Meadow

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

It doesn't have to be very high wattage because the lens focuses the light. The changer swings the other bulb into position also because it has to stay focused.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts