Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an enclosed trailer that i use for bbq competitions and want to make it so when i pull up i have power for outlets and maybe some led lights inside and out. Anyone ever do anything like this. I dont want to just start drilling holes and running pipe without having some idea first.

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
sparky402 said:
I have an enclosed trailer that i use for bbq competitions and want to make it so when i pull up i have power for outlets and maybe some led lights inside and out. Anyone ever do anything like this. I dont want to just start drilling holes and running pipe without having some idea first.
How are you powering this? Inverter and batteries, maybe some solar panels?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
backstay said:
How are you powering this? Inverter and batteries, maybe some solar panels?
Most of the competitions will supply you with 1 outlet to plug into so probably just an extension cord to either an outlet or one day maybe a generator if i can find a quiet one.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Most of the competitions will supply you with 1 outlet to plug into so probably just an extension cord to either an outlet or one day maybe a generator if i can find a quiet one.
So you want shore power. Marinco has a complete line of weather-tite outlets and cables to get the power to and into the trailer. Since you plan to add a genny at some point, I'd recommend setting up a 30a twistlock and use their 30a shore power cables to an adapter to whatever recep or genny you source from.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Sparky I would mount a little power panel and run sealtite or flex to my lights and boxes. Trailers seem to flex a little bit and the pipe comes loose. It sucks because it does not look as nice EMT would, but in the long run who cares.
On construction trailers I usually mount the panel right inside the door and drill a hole in the floor large enough for the cord cap to fit through. Then I feed the panel with a 25 or 50 foot cord and just pull it inside when traveling.
Go with as much LED as you can. That tape from Amazon is freaking perfect for this.

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
When I wired my racecar trailer, I just dropped a piece of SO cord out of a bell box with a strain relief on it, and slapped a cord cap on it. I keep it hung on a hook, when not in use, next to the rear ramp door. Ran everything in PVC.

I used a couple of T5 HO vapor-tight fixtures that were left over from a job. I put a couple of cable ties on the lamps to keep them from rattling out while going down the road. I didn't use any kind of overcurrent protection in the trailer. I like to live on the edge.:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.