Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In school we are learning how to do lighting loads for dwellings.

Square footage = footprint area - open porches, garages, and areas that can't be converted for future use. Add floors together

Amps = (3 volt-amps x sq. ft.) / 120

amps/15 = number of 15 A lighting branch circuits

How is this calculation done in large apartment buildings?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
in school we are learning how to do lighting loads for dwellings.

Square footage = footprint area - open porches, garages, and areas that can't be converted for future use. Add floors together

amps = (3 volt-amps x sq. Ft.) / 120

amps/15 = number of 15 a lighting branch circuits

how is this calculation done in large apartment buildings?
220.14( j )

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
You can skimp out on it and do 180va per general use outlet, with a receptacle every 6 feet. Lights arfe calcted based on the maximum bulb wattage they can take. Kitchen needs 2 20 amps for the counters, 20 amp for bath GFIs nothing else can be on those.

apartment calcs are much like dwelling resi.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I think what he is asking is ?
Are the calculations for large apartment buildings,
different to dwellings ?

I would guess there is a difference,
as there would be more lights especially in common area's.

I don't know if hes asking for just an apartment itself or the demand factor of the whole building put together. Common area lighting is a continuous load and directly added to the equation.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Ok, I'll just assume that you are trying to calculate the house loads since the apartments are kinda easy.
It's been a while but look in the tables in the back for a hint, you square foot the lighting load.
Example D4(a) "Multifamily Dwelling" looks like what he needs,in Informative Annex D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.