Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working for a company that retrofits mostly 2x4 lay in's to new electronic ballasts and T8 bulbs. Simple job. Remove bulbs, ballasts, and tombstone/brackets, and put in new ballast, tombstone/bracket, snap in reflector, put in new bulbs...10 to 15 min job. But these buildings are anywhere from 10 to 50 or more years old. No telling what I'll find when I open the fixtures. Everything from no ground to a 3 inch hole cut with snips with a piece of romex with no ground conductor coming thru a hole in the sheetrock. As the last person who is touching the fixture, I'm supposed to make sure the fixture is properly grounded and safe. But my company is not being paid to spend the extra time and expense to inspect above the ceiling (if even possible) to determine a fix. These jobs need a permit, so the inspector looks closely at the types of raceways, grounding conductors and bonding, supports, etc.........the grandfather clause can only go so far. I would like to hear from anyone who has been in this situation, and especially any inspectors who would have any input on what they would look for. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Bring the problem luminaires to your bosses attention. Take a picture, and nice on.
Any fixes are extra.
As ling as your shop documents problems and brings them to the customers attention you are not on any hook.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts