Electrician Talk banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Ugh. Just when I think I start to understand Canada.

You guys are so weird with your Loomex and 347v boxes.
Wait till you actually see some wiring here. Except countertops, there are no 120v 20A circuits in houses whatsoever. Blue NM exists for AFCI circuits, but is not mandatory. Houses can be done with plastic boxes, but most people still use metal. We do not bond switches. Lastly, and this seems to be the one that American sparkies "love" the most - the CEC has no rules on panel orientation and you could put one diagonal if you felt like it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Wait till you actually see some wiring here. Except countertops, there are no 120v 20A circuits in houses whatsoever. Blue NM exists for AFCI circuits, but is not mandatory. Houses can be done with plastic boxes, but most people still use metal. We do not bond switches. Lastly, and this seems to be the one that American sparkies "love" the most - the CEC has no rules on panel orientation and you could put one diagonal if you felt like it.
We are required to bond all non-current carrying metal parts of fixed equipment to ground. Including switches, as far as I know. With a metal box the mounting screws accomplish this, but as you said plastic boxes are allowed.

As I posted earlier, and you may have missed it as I posted at the same time, switches now come with a bonding screw, perhaps for this reason. I always bond using this screw if it's available.

Maybe the 2015 CEC addresses this.

Borgi

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
We are required to bond all non-current carrying metal parts of fixed equipment to ground. Including switches, as far as I know. With a metal box the mounting screws accomplish this, but as you said plastic boxes are allowed.

As I posted earlier, and you may have missed it as I posted at the same time, switches now come with a bonding screw, perhaps for this reason. I always bond using this screw if it's available.

Maybe the 2015 CEC addresses this.

Borgi
Canadian plastic boxes contain a bonding strap which makes the green screw on the switch redundant, at least for us. American plastic boxes don't have that, which is why they have to pigtail bond each one. If you look at some pictures by some of the residential guys south of the border some of them even go as far as to barrel crimp their bonds instead of just using a marrette. Could be cheaper, smaller, or more permanent. Not sure. As far as I can tell the green screw is just there so the same switch can be sold in both markets.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Canadian plastic boxes contain a bonding strap which makes the green screw on the switch redundant, at least for us. American plastic boxes don't have that, which is why they have to pigtail bond each one. If you look at some pictures by some of the residential guys south of the border some of them even go as far as to barrel crimp their bonds instead of just using a marrette. Could be cheaper, smaller, or more permanent. Not sure. As far as I can tell the green screw is just there so the same switch can be sold in both markets.
You may have a point here, but the switch is bonded! And is required to be.

In the NEC, are switches required to be bonded?

Borgi

·
Registered
522 Posts
All the newer switches now come with a grounding screw on the yoke, they also have a metal capture for the 6-32 mounting screw that can also serve as bonding and work well for systems using conduit for grounds.

In the picture his yoke is painted so the mounting screw bond is defeated, but then again it would likely be grandfathered.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Borgi said:
You may have a point here, but the switch is bonded! And is required to be.
I was not disagreeing, my point is that due to the presence of an alternate bonding method there is no requirement to pigtail a bonding wire to each switch.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
The scepter pvc FS boxes sold in the states have that ground bond. Scepter kicks ass, best product in Pvc boxes and fittings.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts