Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Performing mostly commercial and underground raceway installations
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A typical lightning flash is about 300 million Volts and about 30,000 amps

Copper conductors: 1/2″ diameter braided cable consisting of 32 strands of 17 gauge copper wire. Aluminum conductors: 5/8″ diameter braided cable consisting of 26 strands of 14 gauge aluminum wire.

can someone explain to me how this will hold 30k of current

·
Registered
Performing mostly commercial and underground raceway installations
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically , the wire only heats up to 60°c and most wire is rated for 90°c

so that’s why it doesn’t burn up

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,091 Posts
I thought the purpose of lightning rods and wire down to the earth was to slowly bleed electrons from the ground to the atmosphere. If the electrons are bled from a small pattern or pathway it will limit the pathway for vast potential difference in the static to discharge. A big massive steel structure allows for a much larger pathway for the electrons to bleed and then the static charge has a bigger pathway to discharge. To reduce the large pathway they install rods spaced a certain distance apart so now you have a bunch of little electron pathways to the sky.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,101 Posts
grew up in Iowa on top of a hill, two story home and we replaced the finials, and ground rods several time before I left for college. Sometimes the strike was only enough to blacken the down leads so the house needed some paint.

Try reading UL96A

·
Super Moderator
Florida, USA
8,574 Posts
Entirely dependent on the voltage
Cross section of a conductor is a function of current.

Insulation or distance to an uninsulated live part of opposite polarity is a function of voltage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts