Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a roof the other day hooking up the riser when I was struck by all of the lighting rods in the area. Some of them were pretty beat up and bent. Always a fan of new revenue streams, I've been searching for classes, books, certifications, etc and can't really find too much. Does anyone have any experience with these types of systems? Any horror or glory stories? What kind of money are we talking? Is this a liability nightmare? Does my NC license cover me for these installations? So many questions! I'm looking forward to your comments. I'm looking at this from a primarily residential point of view.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,816 Posts
I was on a roof the other day hooking up the riser when I was struck by all of the lighting rods in the area. Some of them were pretty beat up and bent. Always a fan of new revenue streams, I've been searching for classes, books, certifications, etc and can't really find too much. Does anyone have any experience with these types of systems? Any horror or glory stories? What kind of money are we talking? Is this a liability nightmare? Does my NC license cover me for these installations? So many questions! I'm looking forward to your comments. I'm looking at this from a primarily residential point of view.
When I was wiring warehouses for the Seagrams Distillery, we had to install lightning protection. It is a very expensive system to install when done properly, and if you have to do it properly. When you attract lightning, the system has to be able to drain the charge.
The material is very expensive and you probably have to buy from only one source. All the fittings are special, brass with stainless steel nuts and bolts.
I would check with somebody such as East Coast Lighnting Equipment for design requirements and costs
I would assume that UL has a standard that must be adhered to. (Standard, CAN/CSAB72-M87). Here in Canada, most areas require that the installation must be done by an electrical contractor.

Reactions: HARRY304E

·
Registered
237 Posts
You got a better chance of getting Journeyman status as a Daytime Hooker out of Lacal 3 than yuo have of making money in the lightning rod business.

Dealerships are generally passed down from father to son. You can count the manufacturers on one hand, and they ain't looking for any new dealers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great information. East Coast had a ton of great information. It seems extremely labor intensive to get the proper certification. That being said, I've ordered my copy of the NFPA's 780 and have begun researching how to achieve the various stages of certification. It will take a lot of time and energy. It may never come to fruition. I'm still going to work towards it. I run into down time like everyone else so I may as well spend it learning. Phil, I think there is a lot of self preservation in the industry. In NC there are only 7 certified Master Installer/Designers. While this is daunting, it tells me that there is room for more. Like most things in life, the more work something takes, the less people are involved. As far as manufacturers not wanting new dealers..... Doesn't sound like miuch of a business model. I'd love to hear more from people who've been involved in this type of business or installation. Especially on the residential side. This is the niche I'm hoping to some day fill. I've also contacted the NCBEEC, LPI, and UL and look forward to hearing back from them.

·
Premium Member
19,272 Posts
Here in Florida, those systems are not inspected by the building department.
Seems like everyone used Bonded down here.
It is easy to get a certification to install them, you pay a small fee. New jobs usually require a certain amount of years of experience of the vendor.

Repairs and maintenance are, ............hey, did you actually say that you were "struck" by how many lightning rods there were in the area??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts