Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
E 1 Electrician
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, who uses pliers instead of wire strippers to strip wire. I always use pliers, never strippers. I guess that’s how I was taught 40 years ago.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just curious, who uses pliers instead of wire strippers to strip wire. I always use pliers, never strippers. I guess that’s how I was taught 40 years ago.
Auto strippers if working production, knife or Stanley blade for bigger conductors and cables, pliers in a pinch. I’ve always been a assembly line, production type Mechanic/Wireman/ Lectrician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,107 Posts
I always used wire strippers. I only used linemans in a pinch. Now I have these. I bought my first pair of Knipex lineman’s at the same time, but never use them. The Klein multi tool is the go to.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I always used wire strippers. I only used linemans in a pinch. Now I have these. I bought my first pair of Knipex lineman’s at the same time, but never use them. The Klein multi tool is the go to.
I have the blue handled heavy duty strippers, but I'd like to switch to those hybrid pliers. They just keep working well enough I haven't dropped another $40 for a pair of the hybrids. I almost never use my linemans but to use as a hammer. I think for romex they'd still be worth having?

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,588 Posts
Lineman's for solid, auto-strippers for stranded.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,303 Posts
auto strippers for everything up to #10
Linoleum knife for everything bigger
Lineman's in a pinch.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use Klein romex strippers for everything except cutting large wire. I use my Klein pliers as pliers and never strip wires. I had to repair partially cut wires on dozens of receptacles from someone using pliers incorrectly.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I have those and I like them. However a major flaw is that you can't cut screws short enough for tile backdplashes. The head of the linesman is too wide. I posted a picture awhile back and will try to find it.
Consequently those don't travel with me anymore and are reserved for bottle opening.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,163 Posts
Just recently bought a pair of these hybrids and love them so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just recently bought a pair of these hybrids and love them so far.
Also bought a version of those with blue handles, but they don’t have the lock on them to keep them closed. Similar but aren’t called the hybrids. They do come in handy.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,163 Posts
Also bought a version of those with blue handles, but they don’t have the lock on them to keep them closed. Similar but aren’t called the hybrids. They do come in handy.

Mine have blue handles, no lock or spring. I felt the spring loaded ones would get annoying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine have blue handles, no lock or spring. I felt the spring loaded ones would get annoying.
Yes, like that, but I might be coaxed if the price is right. My favorite are my 2 Klein and sons from 1929 and 1924, and close for 2nd or 3rd my Kraeuter stamped Western Union. None of which ever had grips.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Once you cut a live wire with your linemans and blow a chunk out of the blade, they work great as strippers
That works best when you cut 2 live conductors or 2 ungrounded and one grounded conductor, that way there’s 2 or three perfectly sized holes!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone here use a set of Southwires ? I lost my Klein romex strippers and I sort of miss them for rough ins. Was thinking on trying the ones from Southwire with the linesman tip.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts