Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
442A -Industrial Electrician's ticket since '93
124 Posts
Never use linesman's for stripping wire unless absolutely no alternative. Many moons ago during my apprenticeship, a journeyman told me use the right tool: don't sacrifice workmanship for haste; it'll bite you on the a** some day. There have been a few times over the years where, in a moment of weakness, those words have been proven so right. As much as it pi**es me off to do the same job twice, Don's words of wisdom never fail to put a smile on my face. A word to the wise - if you ever work with a Scottish jouneymen, you can take these pearls of wisdom to the bank!

·
Hackenschmidt
10,695 Posts
There are times when I might put just linemans and screwdriver in my pocket when I'm not expecting to need tools, but taking them just in case. In that situation I can strip wires with linemans. If there's just a couple wires to strip it's not worth a trip to the truck. But that's about the only time I strip wires with linemans pliers.

I know some people that are minimalists and very good at getting things done with very few tools. But I'd have to draw the line at an electrician that doesn't use wire strippers. There's a fine line between minimalist and doesn't care enough to carry the right tool for the job.

If you're doing a task that involves stripping wires, and you don't bother carrying wire strippers and strip with linemans pliers, that would piss me off. I'd be calling bullshit and you would have to show me and prove you can strip just as fast accurate and consistent with linemans. It's going to slow you down or affect the quality of your work or probably both.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
You use wirenuts for splices with out twisting?
I never twist. The wirenut does it for you. I pull on my wires to make sure they're engaged and move on. No offense but by the time you strip the wires with your pliers and then twist them, I'm on my third junction box splice!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Senior Moment
7,793 Posts
I've use the flat handle side of lineman's to crush the insulation on solid 12 awg, then pull off the waste with my fingers. Leaves the conductor nick free and is fast.

·
Registered
E 1 Electrician
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I never twist. The wirenut does it for you. I pull on my wires to make sure they're engaged and move on. No offense but by the time you strip the wires with your pliers and then twist them, I'm on my third junction box splice!

True,
But when the next person comes in and pulls off the wire nut the splice comes apart. This sucks when doing stuff hot.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
That's something I haven't considered so thanks. I will say though I don't like wires braided together on a rewire or troubleshoot because you have to cut and restrip the wire. Some guys get carried away and twist the wires 2 inches onto the jacket! This takes time to dress and is a pain when there's little wire left to work with.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,089 Posts
When I first stared out i was doing resi and almost everything was solid. I used linmans for stripping and pre twisted everything with linemans and holding the wires with needle nose. Now I do almost exclusively commercial mechanical rooms and everything is stranded. My linemans get used like once a month at best. I use the kline curve for standard work. If I'm building a panel the auto strippers come out. I could not imaging trying to strip MTW wire with linemans.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
16,547 Posts
Strippers every time. Side cutters are for hammering.
I use Ideal strippers yellow and red. And Klein side cutters. I don't twist either so my side cutters rarely come out of the bucket.

·
Registered
Wisconsin Master Electrician
73 Posts
I used linesman's for years until I jumped over into mostly resi and light commercial. Now it's romex strippers.

·
Petulant Amateur
Poor electrician, excellent bull chitter.
24,549 Posts
I was taught to strip with side cutters (dykes). I still do it if I’m on a ladder and my strippers are on the ground, that’s about it.

I have never seen a combo, Swiss Army knife type tool that was worth a chit. Maybe I’m wrong but I doubt it.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,114 Posts
I was taught to strip with side cutters (dykes). I still do it if I’m on a ladder and my strippers are on the ground, that’s about it.

I have never seen a combo, Swiss Army knife type tool that was worth a chit. Maybe I’m wrong but I doubt it.
Side cutters are lineman’s pliers. Dykes are diagonal cutters.

#newkleins I can get away with the new Klein’s comment now without all the Klein bashers around.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts