Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a customer that has an electric fence for his horses, the instructions call for three ground rods on the negative side of the transformer 10 feet apart. The transformer is mounted on the outside of the barn, the barn is 500 feet away from the home. The barn has a 100a sub panel with two ground rods, is it possible to bond to the existing rods for the barn?? If not "other than the manufacturing specs" why not? Will driving three more ground rods create an impedance between the existing rods?

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Deanos01 said:
So I got a customer that has an electric fence for his horses, the instructions call for three ground rods on the negative side of the transformer 10 feet apart. The transformer is mounted on the outside of the barn, the barn is 500 feet away from the home. The barn has a 100a sub panel with two ground rods, is it possible to bond to the existing rods for the barn?? If not "other than the manufacturing specs" why not? Will driving three more ground rods create an impedance between the existing rods?
Those ground rods are different than the standard rod. They are shorter and not listed. This is a separate ground system from your house.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Fencers pulse

they should be isolated from a dwelling system

in fact, you may even want to consider how close you are to any waterer or equopotential plane in said barn

~CS~

·
Registered
708 Posts
Here in wis. There are lots of arguments about grounding fencers. We also have a thing called cow trainers that hang above a cows back and makes them back up when they poop so it falls in the gutter.It always seemed odd to me that farmers would be alarmed at 1.5 volts on a drinking cup or other metal object while hitting them with 5000 v every time they pooped.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Hmmmm, i think you mighta solved the poop break problem Galt....:thumbsup: :whistling2::laughing:~CS~

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No metallic raceways from barn to home, I think I'm going to follow man. Specs. and drive three rods 25 feet from the barn and 10 feet apart.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Make sure your ground rods are at least 25' from any other ground rods, buildings etc. Make sure you install the fencer per the instructions or you could get in trouble.

·
The Accidental Welder
1,174 Posts
Just hack it like everything else you've done for the last 15 years! :jester:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Real ECs have a ground rod driver, let me know if you need to borrow one.;):)

·
The Accidental Welder
1,174 Posts
Now, now deanos, you used to have such a good sense of humor, don't lose it as you get older.:thumbsup:

In case anyone overlooked my smilies, deanos is NOT a hack.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,918 Posts
More the better

I had a ground field 20 rods 4' down laid on their side in a 60'x 30' area, for covering fields up to 2 miles away, with a big a** zapper. When the charger wire went bad as it entered the ground, the area between the charger and field actually became live enough to shock a horse walking on it.:blink:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The barn has a 100a sub panel with two ground rods, is it possible to bond to the existing rods for the barn??
Does the charger have a grounding cord cap? If so it will be bonded to the rods.

I see nothing wrong with bonding to the rods. Better grounding is a really good thing for fence chargers. The more you can cut down on earth resistance the better it will shock the animals.

If not "other than the manufacturing specs" why not? Will driving three more ground rods create an impedance between the existing rods?

I have never seen any manufacturing specs that stated either way. I have seen the high voltage pulse travel back through a service's ground rods and through the neutral bond to get back to the charger. Definitly don't want that. So bond away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts