Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a sub panel fed from a 200 main. I want to add a 48 amp hot tub to it What would the load calculation be for this sub panel more or less?
All of the top row double pole are in floor heating aside from the last one which is the AC.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No way of knowing based on breakers alone.

I know what you mean but I think it's safe to say the 2pole 15 for infloor heating would be maximum 1200W if they were installed correctly.

You need to do a load calc for the entire service, and then for the panels.
I've already done the load calc for the main service and it's quite low given they have mainly gas appliances.

I'm just unsure if I have to take the 15 amp circuits at full load because this is a sub panel. I think its safe to say 1200w for each 2 pole heater.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,241 Posts
I would probably look at that panel with heating and AC loads and say no way. Feed it from the main even if it means running PVC around the exterior of the building. People spend thousands on a tub and then want to cheap out on the electrician. That’s not how I roll.

The inspector will hug you if you feed it from the main.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would probably look at that panel with heating and AC loads and say no way. Feed it from the main even if it means running PVC around the exterior of the building. People spend thousands on a tub and then want to cheap out on the electrician. That’s not how I roll.
Its a lot more work to run it from the main ie: finished space around main panel. Your point is well taken though so thank you.

·
Registered
622 Posts
How many people know why you are allowed to install a panel sideways in Canada but not in the USA? I always wondered on many HGTV home shows they show the panel sideways but then I read an article as to why or how.

·
Registered
237 Posts
How many people know why you are allowed to install a panel sideways in Canada but not in the USA? I always wondered on many HGTV home shows they show the panel sideways but then I read an article as to why or how.
It is because we're farther from the equator. The centrifugal forces due to the spin of the earth are less, which means electrons can travel sideways more easily. Science.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
It is because we're farther from the equator. The centrifugal forces due to the spin of the earth are less, which means electrons can travel sideways more easily. Science.

I thought it was the centripetal force.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I believe the Canadian code requires the line side feeders to be separate from the other conductors. There is a barrier between the entrance conductors and the rest of the panel.

Here in the US you can have fused and un-fused conductors only in the service panel.
At least that is what I read. Is that true????

·
Registered
237 Posts
I believe the Canadian code requires the line side feeders to be separate from the other conductors. There is a barrier between the entrance conductors and the rest of the panel.

Here in the US you can have fused and un-fused conductors only in the service panel.
Yes, here the service conductors have to be behind a barrier, and you aren't allowed to run branch circuits through that compartment.

·
Light Bender
plumber
5,846 Posts

In the US you can not mount a panel sideways because all breakers must be up for “on” right? Left or right is ok as well, just not down.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Man, don't over complicate this. You said you did a load calc on the house, and it is fine. If your service is well within the limits to run the hot tub, just add the breaker in whatever panel is convenient. Looks like you have a 200A main breaker from some feed-through lugs there. Can't see it, but I'm willing to guess it is. If it is the closest one, add your hot tub there. Your only concern is that your main breaker will trip, but if the panel load isn't really that great, then you don't have any worries.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This helps explain how electricians operate in Canada. Especially near where it all started, Teck Township, Ontario.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So what is the proper way to mount a panel/panel cover sideways?
Do you mount it so the cover has to be propped up by a stick or so the cover falls open?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts