Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm asking because I want to use a bigger tub, like a 200A panel and then put a 100A breaker in it. They only make 100A panels so big, or that's all my supplier carries.

100A 30cct.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would say that if you can get a 100A main to fit in a 200A panel why not? the only 200A resi panels iv ever installed were Siemens and the used the double 200 breaker (like 4 poles) but other manufactures might be different im more a commercial guy. on another note i once put two 100A panels one on top the other with like a 1.5" nipple between... looked OK i guess customer didnt mind

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
What's wrong with tandems? How many circuits do you need?
I have never seen a 100a, 30 cir panel rated for tandems. Only 30/30, not 30/60 is what I know of. One could always install 2 30 cir panels. The biggest problem with just feeding a 200a main lug panel with a 100 amp breaker in a normal breaker space is the lack of a "hold down" means.

·
Can't Remember
11,061 Posts
Unfinished basement? Come to a 100amp breaker enclosure and then feed the 40 space from that as a sub. Otherwise, finding a hold down means for a 100amp breaker in a 40 space MLO might be tough. Not saying it isn't there, just not sure.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.