Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brain is racked, and it hurts. Last month I had a service call about some flickering lights. I went through the normal progression of explaining to the customer when the A/C, water pump, or disposal kicks on, sometimes the lights dim, but that I’d look into it. Here is where it gets hairy. Not only do the lights dim, the clock radios do the same, to the point they nearly go off. Upon further investigation it happens to both phases coming into the 200 amp service. The customer also notices that it happens in the middle of the night to the clock radio even when there is little to no load on the entire house. I proceed to pull the meter, reconnect every wire and cable in the service, including the meter socket. Nothing changes, my conclusion, either the neutral is bad or the transformer is undersized.
I called the POCO, ComEd, and had a tech sent out to hook up a monitoring device. He shows up a week layer without a device only to do a voltage reading. **sigh** I call back ComEd and let them have it. They send out another tech, no device, but he shows the same readings that I did, which now ruled out the Main Breaker. Third tech on Thanksgiving brings out the device, and it’s been out there ever since.
I just got a phone call from the customer saying that it has gotten seriously worse. When they wake up in the morning they now have to reset the clocks. They called ComEd and there hasn’t been any power outages. My patience is running thin. I’ve got another ComEd tech coming out tomorrow, for the now “emergency" call to look at it first thing, and read the monitoring device. I’m really scrapping the bottom of the barrel at this point. The only other thing I can do is call my old ABC instructor whom I haven’t spoken to in 7 years ago.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Similar problem I had . The lights flicker a bunch lost power on different circuits . Ulitity comp. came out check transformer connectors , Wire and weather head . Pulled the meter numerous times . Come to find out the neutral was the problem .
It was a lose neutral at the meter but it I also think the SER. Cable was done . Results was I changed out meter service conductor and run new conduit and new wire to panel ... Problem solved

1 - 3 of 3 Posts