Electrician Talk banner

Local 3 Shift Change

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  VELOCI3 
#1 ·
According to IBEW, what is the length/duration a shift change can last?

Ex: Due to Covid, they have change my shift from days to nights for a whole year.

#2 ·
That would be in the collective bargaining agreement and I don't recall exactly.

But you should be getting a shift differential in your check.

#4 ·
Should be clear in the Agreement. Read it carefully and call your Steward or Business Rep. In my local's contract, Shift premium is mandated and paid for the duration of Shift work. This is different than a Temporary Change of Schedule. If you don't like night work it's not great, but it is what it is. Personally I would gladly work nights forever.

#11 ·
I see, no there isn't. Not specifically shift work, but I have worked more of my career nights than days. Including right now. If a jobsite on regular "A" work goes 3 shifts, you're assigned to whatever shift for the duration of the job, there's no rules about rotating or time limits that I'm aware of.

#9 ·
Your not supposed to change a shift midweek. With that being said, the minimum duration would be one week. Ours doesn’t give a minimum duration, but I can’t see it being less than a week. I’m sure it’s not un-common to change a shift midweek though. I’ve done it, but it’s rare. Sometimes there might be something that has to be done at night, but may only be two or three days. I’ve always got the shift differential.

#12 ·
It depends on your bargaining agreement but this is how it worked at the local I worked at. 1st shift worked 8 hours at a set rate, 2nd shift worked 8 hours at a higher rate and 3rd shift worked 6 hours and made the equivalate of what 1st shift made in 8 hours. 42 minute lunch for 1st and 2nd shift and 30 minute lunch for 3rd shift. If you transferred shifts you would get paid the rate of that shift and it would last the duration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.