Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was looking at an ad by the local paper talking about work being done to turn a very old building into a 5 floor 29 unit apartment building and 3 commercial units on the ground floor. What caught my eye was the use of NM through the building ran through holes in metal studs. :eek:. Rules around here are buildings over an occupancy of 20 must be done in all MC or metal conduit.

Guess it's only high power developers that can get away with this kind of hack.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Ive never pulled romex in a commercial building over 2 floors, what exactly does the code say on this again? Nothing over 3 floors, right?

As long as they are using those yellow plastic bushing it doesn't really seem hack to me, but like I said, Im not really clear on what floor the cut off is for using romex.

Did you lose this bid, or just see it in the paper?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just saw it in the paper. But correction it's 4 floors. Just that doing some work in buildings I was told anything over an occupancy of 20 could not be NM and not sure about how many floors.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Yeah? Ive never been real clear where the line was myself, but I really dont pull Romex in commercial if its not wood studs. Id be kinda nervous pulling through metal studs myself, ESPECIALLY if arc fault breakers were going to be required.

But as long its code compliant, I dont see any wrong.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
The 3 story rule went away a cycle or two ago in the NEC, wiring methods permitted are all predicated on construction type, 1-5

Annex E (NEC) sheds some light on this

~CS~

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
The 3 story rule went away a cycle or two ago in the NEC, wiring methods permitted are all predicated on construction type, 1-5

Annex E (NEC) sheds some light on this

~CS~
Doesnt it have to do with fire rating too? I know around here, Romex is cool all day long in commercial, as long as (1) its behind sheetrock (2) its got at least two layer of sheetrock between it and the drop ceiling.

Dont know the exact requirements, but I know that's close. I need to learn it 100% to be honest with you. It could mean the difference between landing a job or not.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Doesnt it have to do with fire rating too? I know around here, Romex is cool all day long in commercial, as long as (1) its behind sheetrock (2) its got at least two layer of sheetrock between it and the drop ceiling.

Dont know the exact requirements, but I know that's close. I need to learn it 100% to be honest with you. It could mean the difference between landing a job or not.
Iirc you are correct in that building type construction refer to the fire rating(s) of said construction are a chief component /decisive element MH

And if you've a grasp on annex E, you're already ahead of me. I've been under certain impressions in the past, only to have the introduction of variables i can't reference in it......, 'sprinkled' or 'nonsprinkled' comes to mind

~CS~

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.