Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have just been accepted into theIBEWs Inside Wireman apprentice program in Northern CA (and passed the initial hire drug test). I would like to know WHERE the RANDOM drug test is done. Are you given a cup and followed to the bathroom where they will wait outside the restroom? Or, do you report to a different located when told?

Thanks!

·
13,020 Posts
In northern Nevada, you're given a form to be taken to any of several locations (you pick), and the test is done there. The ones I've been to are immediate care facilities.

You must report to the facility the same day you're given the form.
Mine are the same way. I just pick one and go pee there. I try to get some on the walls too. Thinking about peeing in the sink next time.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
Well I did a couple of jobs were they had two full time nurses on the site they would test on site . It was just like a tiny clinic they had just about everything funny part is any drug test that's done is useless its only checking for one or two things coke or pot . If you eat a bagel covered with poppy seeds you will test inconclusive so they wont let you work until they check it out at a real lab that takes three days so your out of work three days . The equipment is basic testing the fact there not a lab. And lots of workers get a bad rap because of this .

They paid me for the three days off I told them I don't do drugs. I will go get a hair sample from a local hospital ill pay for it myself which can give you results from 20 years back on any drug use. They paid me with no questions asked so if you fail don't trust them that's if you know your right !Plus I got three days off with pay.:thumbup:

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Pretty weird this drug testing. I've never been tested but the last time I worked for someone was maybe in '75.

Seems sorta like the cops just sorta run over while you are at a red light and asking you to pee in a cup else loose your car for 3 days.

How did this ever get allowed?

Next they will have cameras everywhere.

·
Registered
Electrician
3,662 Posts
Last place I took the test was labcorp.
You lock everything on youor person in a box and you take the key.
The top of the toilet was strapped tied so you could not get into it.
The sink was covered and you could not get to the handles to run water.
The person giving the test was just on the other side of the door, and they flushed for you when you came out.

·
13,020 Posts
Pretty weird this drug testing. I've never been tested but the last time I worked for someone was maybe in '75.

Seems sorta like the cops just sorta run over while you are at a red light and asking you to pee in a cup else loose your car for 3 days.

How did this ever get allowed?

Next they will have cameras everywhere.
Yeah it's ****ing preposterous that the supposed great & free America resorts to piss testing working class people. I think it is a gross violation of the 4th Amendment and I don't care what court precedents state otherwise.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yeah it's ****ing preposterous that the supposed great & free America resorts to piss testing working class people. I think it is a gross violation of the 4th Amendment and I don't care what court precedents state otherwise.
It's not a violation at all. You don't have to agree with it, you don't have to take the test if your don't want to. Refuse and be on your way.

·
13,020 Posts
It's not a violation at all. You don't have to agree with it, you don't have to take the test if your don't want to. Refuse and be on your way.
Yeah and that would cost me my job. That's hardly a decision.

I have never come to work under the influence of anything - EVER. And I never plan on it either. I have a work ethic, as do many other people in our trade.

So why am I being randomly piss tested like I'm on probation or something? I have never done anything to indicate I am a risk to equipment or personnel or myself on the job, so at least give me the benefit of the doubt instead of treating me as guilty until proven innocent.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
On the other hand, the OP's odd concern about where, in particular, such testing is conducted makes me wonder if he's really primarily concerned with the best place to stash the bottle of clean piss so that he can get it undetected if he's called to take the test.

I translated his question as, "Should I keep the bottle of pee with me, or can I just keep it outside in my car".

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’ve been around since the inception of RDT (random drug testing) way back when. When it was first conceived, we all jumped up and down, swung fists in the air, cussed anyone who would listen, and puffed up like badasses. And you know what? Tough shmit. It was implemented. It was litigated. The supreme court looked at it and shrugged their shoulders. In short, it was, and is, here to stay. It is simply a condition of employment. Period.

The argument that it isn’t anyone’s business what we do on our own time has been rejected over and over again. It is moot. You are not “allowed” to take illicit drugs at the mall, at the grocery, the park, or even at home. You may have little chance of being caught at home, unless you sit on the front porch shooting paint balls at cars. But as long as you harm no one…

In the eye of the company however, you are a huge liability if you cause an accident, or you are the accident. Drugs and alcohol stay in your system for a period of time (some longer than others). You may not be f****d up per se, but you still have the drug juice in your system. No one can know whether the drugs induced you to do something stupid, or you were just naturally stupid. But it doesn’t matter. The fact is that if you do something stupid and get hurt, or get someone else hurt or killed by your stupidity, you aren’t the only one who is in deep doo-doo. The company is ultimately liable for your actions. May not seem fair, but welcome to America.

Yeah I know, even if you are hot, you aren’t in a position to get anyone hurt or killed. You’re just running pipe and pulling wire. Fair enough. So where should the company draw the line at who should piss? Only the control room shift operator? How about the instrument tech? Maybe the bosses who tell you to jump off the cliff? Who then? If you answer no one, re read the above paragraph again. Even the big dogs can get stung hard by a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

We live in the most litigious society in history. People sue for a stubbed toe because of a crack in the sidewalk. Or hot coffee. Contractors and corporations are no different. They are attacked from every angle every day. In the safety aspect, they are responsible for you going home the way you came to work, along with everyone else that is on their property. They are also responsible to the community. So when they hire you to work for them, or hire a sub-contractor for a project, the last thing they need is a nit-wit that got hammered last night to fall off a ladder, or push the wrong button, or turn the wrong valve. In the right setting you could set off a chain reaction that wipes out an entire town (watch the news sometime; happens more often than you might think).

Look at it from another perspective. You want your family to jump on an airplane with a pilot who blew a few lines last night? Go ahead, pass the bus driver who was up all night doing doobies with his buddies. Or go around the truck driver who’s zoning out after a killer speed buzz. The list goes on.

Bottom line is that it has been well documented that RDT reduces workplace injuries and workplace mistakes. No, it won’t catch everyone, but it’ll get the vast majority of dopers. We even test for alcohol as well, so don’t get messed up all night and roll into my plant with a mondo hangover.

Random drug tests are here forever (yes, even in Colorado), and all the biotchin in the world won’t change it. So take your pick. Make money, or party down. Oh… and I was a 70’s kid. I grew up on partying. You name it, I’ve done it. I think I actually lost a year or two along the line. But I made a conscious choice when I had to. Money is my choice (and an evening cocktail or two; but only two)

·
DGFVT
2,533 Posts
Yeah and that would cost me my job. That's hardly a decision.

I have never come to work under the influence of anything - EVER. And I never plan on it either. I have a work ethic, as do many other people in our trade.

So why am I being randomly piss tested like I'm on probation or something? I have never done anything to indicate I am a risk to equipment or personnel or myself on the job, so at least give me the benefit of the doubt instead of treating me as guilty until proven innocent.
Does your company have a drug policy that you have to sign?. I had a drug testing policy and all employees got a copy of the policy and had to sign for it., that way there was no question as to what the policy was and what actions would be taken.

It looked something like this........
DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE POLICY
XYZ Corporation, Inc. (the Company) intends to help provide a safe and drug-free work environment for our clients and our employees. With this goal in mind and because of the serious drug abuse problem in today's workplace, we are establishing the following policy for existing and future employees of XYZ Corporation, Inc.
The Company explicitly prohibits:
The use, possession, solicitation for, or sale of narcotics or other illegal drugs, alcohol, or prescription medication without a prescription on Company or customer premises or while performing an assignment.
Being impaired or under the influence of legal or illegal drugs or alcohol away from the Company or customer premises, if such impairment or influence adversely affects the employee's work performance, the safety of the employee or of others, or puts at risk the Company's reputation.
Possession, use, solicitation for, or sale of legal or illegal drugs or alcohol away from the Company or customer premises, if such activity or involvement adversely affects the employee's work performance, the safety of the employee or of others, or puts at risk the Company's reputation.
The presence of any detectable amount of prohibited substances in the employee's system while at work, while on the premises of the company or its customers, or while on company business. "Prohibited substances" include illegal drugs, alcohol, or prescription drugs not taken in accordance with a prescription given to the employee.
The Company will conduct drug and/or alcohol testing under any of the following circumstances:
RANDOM TESTING: Employees may be selected at random for drug and/or alcohol testing at any interval determined by the Company.
FOR-CAUSE TESTING: The Company may ask an employee to submit to a drug and/or alcohol test at any time it feels that the employee may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, including, but not limited to, the following circumstances: evidence of drugs or alcohol on or about the employee's person or in the employee's vicinity, unusual conduct on the employee's part that suggests impairment or influence of drugs or alcohol, negative performance patterns, or excessive and unexplained absenteeism or tardiness.
POST-ACCIDENT TESTING: Any employee involved in an on-the-job accident or injury under circumstances that suggest possible use or influence of drugs or alcohol in the accident or injury event may be asked to submit to a drug and/or alcohol test. "Involved in an on-the-job accident or injury" means not only the one who was or could have been injured, but also any employee who potentially contributed to the accident or injury event in any way.
If an employee is tested for drugs or alcohol outside of the employment context and the results indicate a violation of this policy, or if an employee refuses a request to submit to testing under this policy, the employee may be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, up to and possibly including discharge from employment. In such a case, the employee will be given an opportunity to explain the circumstances prior to any final employment action becoming effective.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I completely understand the arguments in favor of drug-testing to maintain a sober workplace. What totally invalidates it for me is the complete lack of attention paid to--on the contrary, often the tacit acceptance of--guys who go out after work and booze it up.

They need to be treated 100% the same, because the results of abuse are 100% the same. And that either means we start punishing people who go out and get blitzed on their own time, or else we back off people who go out and get high on their own time.

Anything else is illogical and I can't support that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.