Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which code covers the need for a lock out on a dishwasher and on a water heater? Is it 422.31B? Never had to install a lockout on a dishwasher befor, first time i got giged on it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
AHJ counter...

Which code covers the need for a lock out on a dishwasher and on a water heater? Is it 422.31B? Never had to install a lockout on a dishwasher befor, first time i got giged on it.
Appliance pigtail-receptacle for Dishwasher and 230V 30A rated 2 pole at H2O heater will eliminate the 422.31B requirement.

·
Fried Bologna um um good!
8,094 Posts
Um all applicances require a disconnect. For the d/w we mount a switch under the cabinet with the sink. On water heaters we mount non fuseable pull out on the wall next to it. Are you serious? You've never had to install disconnects?

·
8,094 Posts
Appliance pigtail-receptacle for Dishwasher and 230V 30A rated 2 pole at H2O heater will eliminate the 422.31B requirement.

It is illegal to add a cord to a dishwasher if the d/w is not listed for a cord to be added. If it comes with a cord then it is legal to plug into a receptacle and the cord qualifys for a disconnect.

The breaker only qualifys as a disconnect if it is witin 50ft and in sight of the water heater.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
It is illegal to add a cord to a dishwasher if the d/w is not listed for a cord to be added. .
More than that, you cannot simply put a 'Whirlpool' cord on a GE dishwasher.

You have to use a cord that is a listed accessory for that particular DW. :rolleyes:

·
8,094 Posts

You have to use a cord that is a listed accessory for that particular DW. :rolleyes:

I've never seen a dishwasher that had a cord as an "accessory" but I'm sure they are out there.

·
Jesus Scott
9,383 Posts
Um all applicances require a disconnect. For the d/w we mount a switch under the cabinet with the sink. On water heaters we mount non fuseable pull out on the wall next to it. Are you serious? You've never had to install disconnects?
NOTHING more condescending then starting a reply with "Um" :rolleyes:

True Bob, but I have yet to meet an inspector smart enough to know this. :no:

Until that day comes I'll be installing "acme" cords knowing full well that the disahwasher can't read the name on the cord and won't be offended :thumbsup:

·
8,094 Posts
NOTHING more condescending then starting a reply with "Um" :rolleyes:

True Bob, but I have yet to meet an inspector smart enough to know this. :no:

Until that day comes I'll be installing "acme" cords knowing full well that the disahwasher can't read the name on the cord and won't be offended :thumbsup:

I would think any licensed electrician would know appliances need a disconnect you pathetic jackass. Why waste a receptacle and buy a cord when you could hard wire and be legal?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

·
8,094 Posts
I generally stay out of this crap but since you're getting all wound up I would think any licensed electrician would know that a light fixture draws the same amount of power no matter what voltage it's wired for. :thumbsup:

Who's wound up? Yep I had forgot watts were watts. I did know the answer because I told the customer no but I did want to make sure I was thinking correctly. And yea it probably is best you stay out of it. It's between me and the pathetic jackass that doesn't believe in god.:thumbsup:

·
8,094 Posts

·
8,094 Posts
I generally stay out of this crap but since you're getting all wound up I would think any licensed electrician would know that a light fixture draws the same amount of power no matter what voltage it's wired for. :thumbsup:

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/stray-currents-16725-post289286/#post289286

The same can be said about you. No one knows everything. A lot of times I get confused on things I don't do often. A lot of people do. But to be an electrician and have never installed disconnects AND NEVER been turned down was a little hard to believe. Its all good. I'm really a troll anyway...:laughing:

·
Jesus Scott
9,383 Posts
I would think any licensed electrician would know appliances need a disconnect you pathetic jackass. Why waste a receptacle and buy a cord when you could hard wire and be legal?
Because even a pathetic jackass is smart enough to know that a cord and receptacle is more cost effective than making a return trip to make connection after the plumber finally shows up to install the dishwasher. Same goes for disposals.

Who knew there was even a receptacle shortage. :no:

Now remember, watts are watts..... :laughing:

·
8,094 Posts
Because even a pathetic jackass is smart enough to know that a cord and receptacle is more cost effective than making a return trip to make connection after the plumber finally shows up to install the dishwasher. Same goes for disposals.:

I leave enough wire for the dish washer to be pulled out far enough for him to plumb it if it hasn't been done when I'm trimming out.:)

Who knew there was even a receptacle shortage. :no::

No shortage that I know of. Just more money in materials and a code violation in most cases to boot.;)

Now remember, watts are watts..... :laughing:

I do need to brush up on electrical thoery. I do have many things to learn. Most of us do. We stay so busy it's hard to make time to study. I got a little lax after I got my card. :)

·
8,094 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn, ask a question and start a bar fight. I know about the disconnect for the water heater, but have never heard of a lock out. As far as the dishwasher goes have installed plenty and the breaker at the panel was always the disconnect, never told to put a switch under the sink. Sorry to ask a question and stir up so much s**t.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
Damn, ask a question and start a bar fight. I know about the disconnect for the water heater, but have never heard of a lock out. As far as the dishwasher goes have installed plenty and the breaker at the panel was always the disconnect, never told to put a switch under the sink. Sorry to ask a question and stir up so much s**t.
Don't be sorry, we love s**t, it is what we deal in here.:D

Back to the question, if the appliance has a 'unit switch' as per ...

422.34 Unit Switch(es) as Disconnecting Means. A unit
switch(es) with a marked-off position that is a part of an
appliance and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall
be permitted as the disconnecting means required by this
article where other means for disconnection are provided in
occupancies specified in 422.34(A) through (D).
.. that can serve as the disconnecting means, but fewer and fewer appliances have a switch that qualifies.

So than you could place a switch or cord and plug at the or a lock off at the breaker.

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected
Appliances.

(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes or 1⁄8
Horsepower.
For permanently connected appliances rated
over 300 volt-amperes or 1⁄8 hp, the branch-circuit switch or
circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting
means where the switch or circuit breaker is within
sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the
open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to
the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the
switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means
and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts