Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im aware this may sound a little bizarre, but has anyone heard of pseg requiring bare neutrals (seu) to be identified with white tape?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Next72969 said:
Im aware this may sound a little bizarre, but has anyone heard of pseg requiring bare neutrals (seu) to be identified with white tape?
Funny you should mention that. I was just called by Linda at ED&C telling me we have to white tape the yellow-striped neutral on a sweetbriar UG service we just did out in "Up Againt It" (Amagansett).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nukie Poo said:
Funny you should mention that. I was just called by Linda at ED&C telling me we have to white tape the yellow-striped neutral on a sweetbriar UG service we just did out in "Up Againt It" (Amagansett).
that i can wrap my head around, but another ec told my boss today that he was asked to tape the bare neutral white by a pseg employee on a service connect. Have they released their own "red book" so to say? :001_huh:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I have not heard anything but im waiting for thrPSE&G red book. Yesterday I ended up spray painting my service neutral white. Let's see how they like that.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shockdoc said:
I have not heard anything but im waiting for thrPSE&G red book. Yesterday I ended up spray painting my service neutral white. Let's see how they like that.
so i guess you got the memo? I was under the impression another ec told him, but it was a pseg inspector.

Edit. Hear anything about disconnect /reconnects?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I always thought lilco and lipas ed&c had some idiotic rules. Let's see if they lift the factory ko rule for meter pans.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
If it's bare I've never had to identify it in white tape. That's a little ridiculous if you ask me. However, they DO NOT want you to use red tape for identifying conductors on a single phase service under any circumstances. I worked for one EC that wanted both ungrounded conductors identified so we did this by marking one of the conductors with blue tape. Also, I believe some SE cable contains a red stripe which is acceptable.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nukie Poo said:
We've been failed for the same thing in Water Mill. This was last year from LIPAs Bridgehampton office. And this was for Al 4/0 tri-plex with a solid yellow neutral. I think I burned a whole roll of white tape in a 400A cabinet.

However, taping a BARE neutral white sounds completely retarted to me. Thankfully I haven't run into that yet.

BTW, we have 10 UG services waiting to be energized. We'll see about PSEG once the dust settles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts