Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys as the weather has been horrible lately I was wondering if any one had and recommendations for long underwear to help stay warm . I can't wear under armor because it is not allowed as an approved layer under our FR clothing .

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,582 Posts
If you can only wear approved lower layers I think your kind if stuck. I haven't seen FR one piece union suits.
Go with the FR coveralls. Just get the ones with the zipper up the legs to the hip. Carhartt makes warm ones with a black bellacava.

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
Then you're stuck with the old fashioned thermal cotton. If you're wearing jeans, try wearing cotton fleece sweat pants instead.

Polyester first layer is still the best for warmth but, if it's not allowed, it's not allowed.

·
Coffee drinking member
14,582 Posts
ecelectric said:
Approved under layers are 100% cotton or wool
LL Bean has a warm union suit. It's thick and might have a slight wool blend to it. The colors were red, white & gray. I got the gray ones and luckily all my winter socks are also gray. It's the warmest pair I've ever found and when paired with the Garhartt lined work pants it can't be beat.
Warm and a great wind stopper and yet I don't cook when I'm in mechanical rooms working.

·
Coffee drinking member
14,582 Posts
I buy several boxes of them hand & body warming packs. It's about $14 for a box of 44 at Costco. That's a life saver these past few days of -15 deg before wind chill.
It's + 4 now and it feels like spring.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I honestly don't recall nor remember that under garments also had to be fire rated!

Since post #8, what about Nortic Track, it's really no different than this post.
I know it's not all cotton and not fire rated.
I use NT, and no matter what else I have to wear I don't feel like the Michelin Man when out amongst them...

BTW, I don't work anything hot! :rolleyes:

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
I honestly don't recall nor remember that under garments also had to be fire rated!

Since post #8, what about Nortic Track, it's really no different than this post.
I know it's not all cotton and not fire rated.
I use NT, and no matter what else I have to wear I don't feel like the Michelin Man when out amongst them...

BTW, I don't work anything hot! :rolleyes:
Undergarments don't have to be FR but they can't be synthetic materials. Cotton and wool don't support flame.

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is what we are issued at the steel mill. We've had several -17F days this week, along with quite a string of 0 to -8 days, and these things have been awesome.

http://www.carbonx.com/

They are made in both summer weight and winter weight. Great choice for when it's going to be just kind-of-cold or well-digger-ass-cold. They are expensive, and we are not issued but one pair of each weight per year (I've been here only 6 months). But I invested in another set anyway.

Carbon X is also the undergarment of choice for almost all professional race car drivers (I assume summer weight). Pretty good endorsement in itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The USMC issues polypropelene long underwear. It keeps you warm but is not flame resistant. Marines deployed to Afghanistan or other combat areas are issued FROG (Flame Resistant Organizational Gear) clothing. It's a system of flame resistant clothing and is available for sale to civilians at

https://store.potomacfieldgear.com/...gory=level-1&pagetitle=Level+1+:+Light+Weight .

Or check out eBay. The undergarments are considered a consumable item and didn't have to be turned back in to Supply after deployment, so you may get lucky and find some cheap stuff out there.

The longjohns aren't as comfortable as polypro but they are a good first layer and wick sweat pretty well, much better than cotton. They are thinner than cotton, too, and fit more loose than Under Armour ColdGear.

Under Armour makes the best long underwear out there but I've heard stories of that stuff melting to people's skin in fires and explosions. Maybe sometime soon they will come out with flame resistant products.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.