Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked about before, but....
Is there legally any limit to shift duration? Can an employee legally leave after 8 hours with no reprecutions?
Can an employer insist your job depends on staying on site until a project is finished in excess of 16 hours?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Is there legally any limit to shift duration? Can an employee legally leave after 8 hours with no reprecutions?
Can an employer insist your job depends on staying on site until a project is finished in excess of 16 hours?
:laughing:

That sounds like my old boss.

He would beep us On Friday after noon so we would have to call the shop then he would say "you want to work a few hours tonight?":eek:

And he'd pull the same crap,"This job has to be done before we leave, which meant working all the way through Sunday night:mad:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
NacBooster29 said:
I know this has been talked about before, but.... Is there legally any limit to shift duration? Can an employee legally leave after 8 hours with no reprecutions? Can an employer insist your job depends on staying on site until a project is finished in excess of 16 hours?
. Excess of 16 hours sure doesn't sound safe or legal to me ? 16 was the longest I was ever reluctantly willing to do . Personally , I think anything last 12 starts to get dangerous . People start taking shortcuts , because they aren't thinking straight , which is when accidents happen .

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
HARRY304E said:
:laughing: That sounds like my old boss. He would beep us On Friday after noon so we would have to call the shop then he would say "you want to work a few hours tonight?":eek: And he'd pull the same crap,"This job has to be done before we leave, which meant working all the way through Sunday night:mad:
. Yeah , I think we all had at least one employer that would do that , lol ! If I had plans , I just didn't answer my phone on Friday afternoons , lol !

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

Massachusetts Mandatory Overtime Laws

Posted by Tamara A unique feature of the Massachusetts overtime laws is that tipped employees, such as restaurant servers, must be paid one and one-half times the minimum wage, for every hour they work in excess of 40 hours in a single work week. This provision is much better than many other state laws such are Maryland’s, where tipped employees are not entitled to overtime under any circumstances.
Under the Massachusetts mandatory overtime laws, an employer may legally require an employee to work overtime. An employer may compel an employee to stay beyond their additional shift, or to come in on their usual days off – even Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. There is no requirement that the employer give the employee advanced notice that they will need to work overtime. There is also no limit on the number of hours the employee may be required to work.
The one stipulation to the Massachusetts mandatory overtime laws is that in most cases, the employee is entitled to overtime pay for any hours in excess of 40 in a single work week. This overtime pay is 1.5 times the employee’s usual hourly rate.
The Massachusetts state overtime laws exempt employees in many occupations from overtime pay. Caddies and newspaper carriers are exempt, as well as outside salespeople. Fishermen, apprentices and interstate truckers are exempt. So are employees of garages, amusement parks, and non-profit summer camps, as well as hospital employees, workers at senior citizen homes and employees of non-profit schools. None of these people must be paid overtime, unless they are covered by a federal overtime law such as the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) or FairPay.
Some of the salaries and duties in the Massachusetts state overtime provisions seem rooted in an earlier era. For example, janitors with living quarters who earn at least $30 per week, are exempt from overtime. So are executives or executive trainees who earn at least $80 per week. (If this is you, stay home and look for a better job!) Switchboard operators in a public exchange – presumably, those who work for the phone company – are exempt. (Does the phone company even have switchboard operators any more?)
Finally, any employee who is not subject to the state minimum wage, is also not entitled to overtime pay under the Massachusetts mandatory overtime laws.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Cleitis must or wrote the law in Maine...

1. Does my employer have to provide me with breaks?
    Employers must give employees the opportunity to take an unpaid rest break of 30 consecutive minutes after 6 hours worked if 3 or more people are on duty. An employee and employer may negotiate for more or less breaks, but both must agree (this should be put in writing). No coffee, bathroom, or smoking breaks are required.
:eek::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
313 Posts
longest day I ever worked was 18 hours, Showed up at 6am, j-man said, " we got alot of fixtures to put up for tomorow.. were staying till were done" ..left at midnight lol

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The fastest way to get me not to work overtime is to tell me I have to.

Overtime is at my discretion, not my employer's. If I am asked nicely to work overtime and I am available I will usually do it if they really need me. I would prefer they ask everyone else first and use me as a last resort. However if I am told I have to stay late or that I have to work on Saturday, I will always say no. Ask me, don't tell me, it's basic courtesy. I work to live, my job will not run my life.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my shop is doing turn overs of a specific retail chain. Specializing in items that cost a dollar.
They have us go in for 8 pm Sunday night. Then can't leave until were wrapped up. They have been giving us 3 journeymen. With the followig tasks.
- 4 new mc cables for cash wrap feeds. Install 2 3/4" power conduits to junction box and a quad nipples off the j box.
- install 2" sleeve for data at cash wrap to terminate in a pvc j box at floor level.
Install 8 to 12 freezer, refrigeration circuits in emt, along the back wall. All circuits home runs.
-Wire secondary cash wraps using old cash wraps power.
-install power poles for display receptacles throughout the store
- demo old cash wraps power and power poles.
-Demo receptacles from old freezer locations.
- wire all quads at cash wraps.
- install sub panel and terminate all circuits into sub panel.
-add a dedicated quad in break area.
- labeling of all devices
- photos of all devices with meter to verify power.
Photos of all breakers installed
- panel schedules.
And i will add that all circuits installed are in emt. They have speced locations for every device.
It's basically 3 days worth of work they need done for them to open on Monday.
Also on several sites our shop is handling the data portion as well.
The shop refuses to budge on more man power. They would rather 16 hour shifts and I've heard of guys running into the 22 hour range.

I told my pm I'm done after 16 , and to have a back up plan. I know I've ruffled some feathers, but 16 hours with one 15 minute break is excessive.
I just didn't know if there can be legal ramifications...
I really don't care that much if there are. Thesee jobs blow

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Well my shop is doing turn overs of a specific retail chain. Specializing in items that cost a dollar.
They have us go in for 8 pm Sunday night. Then can't leave until were wrapped up. They have been giving us 3 journeymen. With the followig tasks.
- 4 new mc cables for cash wrap feeds. Install 2 3/4" power conduits to junction box and a quad nipples off the j box.
- install 2" sleeve for data at cash wrap to terminate in a pvc j box at floor level.
Install 8 to 12 freezer, refrigeration circuits in emt, along the back wall. All circuits home runs.
-Wire secondary cash wraps using old cash wraps power.
-install power poles for display receptacles throughout the store
- demo old cash wraps power and power poles.
-Demo receptacles from old freezer locations.
- wire all quads at cash wraps.
- install sub panel and terminate all circuits into sub panel.
-add a dedicated quad in break area.
- labeling of all devices
- photos of all devices with meter to verify power.
Photos of all breakers installed
- panel schedules.
And i will add that all circuits installed are in emt. They have speced locations for every device.
It's basically 3 days worth of work they need done for them to open on Monday.
Also on several sites our shop is handling the data portion as well.
The shop refuses to budge on more man power. They would rather 16 hour shifts and I've heard of guys running into the 22 hour range.

I told my pm I'm done after 16 , and to have a back up plan. I know I've ruffled some feathers, but 16 hours with one 15 minute break is excessive.
Open your own shop....F----them....:)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That has crossed my mind.
The next job I get will bot be with an ec.
This trade is a sure fire way to ruin your body, and get used and abused.
I had a pretty decent offer from Simplex a few years ago.
However they wouldn't hire me while I was still employed with my shop. As we work with them quite a bit. They didn't want to step on my bosses toes figuratively.
My next job will be more brain work less back ache!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

I've worked some long days in emergency situations. It sucks, but it happens. However, there is a huge difference between an emergency and a planned job. No way in hell would I work 16 hours on a planned job because the shop refuses to properly man the job. I would tell them to send more help. 10 hours, maybe 12 hours would be my limit. I don't care if the job gets done or not. If they can't man the jobs appropriately they shouldn't be taking them.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
However they wouldn't hire me while I was still employed with my shop. As we work with them quite a bit. They didn't want to step on my bosses toes figuratively.
Amen!

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I've worked some long days in emergency situations. It sucks, but it happens. However, there is a huge difference between an emergency and a planned job. No way in hell would I work 16 hours on a planned job because the shop refuses to properly man the job. I would tell them to send more help. 10 hours, maybe 12 hours would be my limit. I don't care if the job gets done or not. If they can't man the jobs appropriately they shouldn't be taking them.

Yeah, if I was told I had to work 16 hours straight on one job I would quit on the spot. I'm not kidding either. Some guys will do just about anything a company asks but I'm not one of them.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hopefully you'll bag a gig like that, I hear they're good to work for too.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I know I've ruffled some feathers, but 16 hours with one 15 minute break is excessive.
Working that long in MA without a break is illegal and could get your company in serious trouble if someone happened to report that. :whistling2:

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
you never have to work overtime for any private industry employer. you can always leave at any time and you can always get a job somewhere else.

An employer can always replace you at their discretion, they are not stuck with you if you aren't what they are looking for in an employee, or can't perform the job they would like you to do for the pay they would like you to make, which you agreed to when you started.

(this doesn't apply to union labor)

I think that about sums it up ?

·
Registered
13,430 Posts
NacBooster29 said:
I know this has been talked about before, but.... Is there legally any limit to shift duration? Can an employee legally leave after 8 hours with no reprecutions? Can an employer insist your job depends on staying on site until a project is finished in excess of 16 hours?
Unless you have laws on the books stating other wise, yes. Firemen work 24 hr shifts. I worked at a mill that had a 17 hour rule, but they would break it if they had to(not often). No one can tell you to work past what you consider safe. But they don't have to keep you on the payroll either. As long as they are paying according to state and federal laws, they have the say. At that point you have to make a choice.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,969 Posts
:laughing:

That sounds like my old boss.

He would beep us On Friday after noon so we would have to call the shop then he would say "you want to work a few hours tonight?":eek:

And he'd pull the same crap,"This job has to be done before we leave, which meant working all the way through Sunday night:mad:
Yeah, then he'd say, "Overtime is authorized." Then the next week is, "Take off Wednesday and Thursday." So he didn't have to pay overtime.

Sumbitsh.

:censored:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts