Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the longest time it ever took you to swap out a breaker panel? I just swapped out a maxed 40 space federal pacific with some breakers doubled up to a new 40 space and it took me 11 hours. It was a Pain in the butt. Spliced a couple circuits together in a j box to get them in 1 breaker

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
12 hours to rip out a loaded 24 cct GE and put in a 42 cct Culter Hammer.. That included removing the old 30 kva xfmr that was in front of it and redoing the panel feed to a new 45 kva outside... Fortunately I didn't have to rethread any of the conduit going into it... Had to do some metering to identify and tag the neutrals, as they weren't in the old one..

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
What's the longest time it ever took you to swap out a breaker panel? I just swapped out a maxed 40 space federal pacific with some breakers doubled up to a new 40 space and it took me 11 hours. It was a Pain in the butt. Spliced a couple circuits together in a j box to get them in 1 breaker

About a month.

64 750's copper to cut in:jester::laughing:

·
Registered
152 Posts
About 7.5 hours to replace the panel and the overhead meter. It was through a rock wall into the house, and into a closet where the panel would be. Cramped, but nowhere else to go with it. They said they'd tear the closet out. It was an emergency charity-assisted job - they didn't have much money. But they paid us what cash they had and the charity picked up the rest.
The boss about died. Did nothing but bitch about it and suspended me from panel swap jobs. And I did it for no compensation. He cashed the $1,000 check, though.

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
Why not just throw in some tandems and forget about the JB?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I worked on a shut down for a local internet provider for 22 hours. We changed out the UPS. we got there at 9 am and did all the prep work we could. We finished with that by 5 pm then had to hang out til 10 pm and then got to it.

side note: we almost burned that building down when a metal fish tap laid across an open bus bar with 54 VDC on it. Made for a loooong night

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
That would take me two days easy.

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
You guys who replace an overhead service and a panel in one day amaze me. I dedicate a day to a panel swap alone. In some areas, though, we need a utility disconnect and an inspection before the reconnect. That takes time.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
11 years. I've been heavy-upping mine for 11 years. I think the problem is the beer box is right under the panel... :drink:

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I have done a few in under 4 hours but generally they take most of the day and occasionally, a long damn day.

The longest are the relocated ones which end up being easier because I hang the new service, do all the grounding/bonding then return on another day to disconnect and get everything tied back in. Those are about 1.5 days.

I also noticed that the older I got, the longer they took. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.