Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Estwing magic
26,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our little company will be aggressively chasing the traditional contractor markets but I want to find a niche, the "next best thing".

What trends are you guys seeing that we might capitalize on? I know a lot of you guys down south are into generator installs but we have dependable power here. I don't want to get into lighting upgrades. I looked at electric vehicles and there might be something there but it's a long shot in this part of the world.

I don't care if it's resi, commercial or industrial. We are equally incompetent at everything :) .

What say you gurus?

·
cog
5,292 Posts
99cents said:
Details, Frunk. Manufacturer links, affiliations, installer designation, etc...
You are in Edmonton right? Look up automation authority....it is the type of work they do.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,701 Posts
Refrigeration and ice factory, oh wait, its -29 c outside........

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Details, Frunk. Manufacturer links, affiliations, installer designation, etc...
I can only give away so much for free!

Lutron + Keydigital + Apple Products + Russound + HAI + Basic Electrical = Mucho Profito

It's not an easy transition. You'll invest a year before you start making money, but when it takes off the money is very good.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Automation. If you want to control your home with your smart phone then you will need the devices installed to make it happen.
I knew a guy who specialized exclusively in this market. He's no longer is biz.

A very small pond to fish in IMO. He lived in a small area, I think that was what killed him. You have to live in a fairly populated area, and you have to be willing to travel alot. Thats the only way I see anyone making out good here.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I've developed that opinion that few people find a niche, but niches find people. Often (but not necessarily) niches are time-sensitive. If you're not in at the beginning of the "next big thing", you've lost. If it's a niche that's not necessarily a fad (like commissioning and testing), the barriers to entry are very high (expensive).

It's probably terrible advice, but I tended to always say I specialized in everything. My answer to almost any request was, "yes, we do that", and as a result, niches often found me. When they ran their course, I still had "regular" work to do. At one time I thought EV chargers would be a good boon, and signed up everywhere I could. I got some work from it, but they were all over the map. I try to stay real local when possible.

Reactions: Bst

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I live in Vancouver and have Asian clients that have more money than I can even comprehend. They don't even have budgets and don't flinch at any price tag.. but they do get angry if something doesn't do what they want.

It's a lucrative business for the right location. I just finished working on a temporary home theatre for a guy from Hong Kong, it must have run in the $250k area.. and it's just temporary until he reno's his mansion to build a bigger theatre room. In February we're doing a new theatre in his house that's on a private island off the coast and he loves it so much, he's getting a system installed in his business partners house.

You gotta hit some seriously high end customers to make it work.. the stuff is expensive and it takes a lot of time to make it work properly.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Automation. If you want to control your home with your smart phone then you will need the devices installed to make it happen.
I will however agree that the people that are willing to spend money on this, will gladly fork over a small fortune to have it done

·
Estwing magic
26,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I live in Vancouver and have Asian clients that have more money than I can even comprehend. They don't even have budgets and don't flinch at any price tag.. but they do get angry if something doesn't do what they want.

It's a lucrative business for the right location. I just finished working on a temporary home theatre for a guy from Hong Kong, it must have run in the $250k area.. and it's just temporary until he reno's his mansion to build a bigger theatre room. In February we're doing a new theatre in his house that's on a private island off the coast and he loves it so much, he's getting a system installed in his business partners house.

You gotta hit some seriously high end customers to make it work.. the stuff is expensive and it takes a lot of time to make it work properly.
I have high end clients but nothing in that league. Is it something we could fold into our usual renovation jobs to cut our teeth on? Are you getting any spillover to professional offices?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I have high end clients but nothing in that league. Is it something we could fold into our usual renovation jobs to cut our teeth on?
Yeah you could start with some simpler lighting control.. if people are flipping to sell or builders doing spec houses, you could convince them of a good ROI from the exclusivity. It'll set the place apart from all the competition, it's a great wow factor.

I sort of think MDShunk said it best.. I never really thought of it that way, but it's true. In this car you can't force automation on people, it's too expensive, they have to already want it and just need someone to do it. The next 10 years will be the implementation of home automation, it's already going into rich folks houses.. next will be the middle class. Money will be made.. by who and how remains to be seen.

Are you getting any spillover to professional offices?
No but bars/restaurants are jumping into this. They can't hire people bright enough to figure out how to control all the electronics, they need a solution. I'd bet someone could tap into the big business office board room business though, they got money and like fancy things.

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
The richest family within 100 miles is worth maybe 10 million. You have to ask yourself if there even are any niche markets to be had. I only have one client who is not concerned with cost, he doesn't buy into frivolous things though.

Around here people are cutting back, even going without security alarms etc.

I would say fire alarm, especially verification and testing. Steady mandatory work and they are present in every market. Not sure what it takes to be able to do it.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts

That's it !!! Asians are my new Niche !! or how about just "Rich" people !

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
No but bars/restaurants are jumping into this. They can't hire people bright enough to figure out how to control all the electronics, they need a solution. I'd bet someone could tap into the big business office board room business though, they got money and like fancy things.
This exactly, I have had to sign NDA's at one local establishment. Automation I agree will start to flood soon.

Real estate is one great suggestion Frunk, the wow factor sells it alone to sellers and possibly leads to another install in the future.

Here's a supplier LINK to get you started into the light end of home automation.

BTW Thanks Frunk for the PM earlier, awesome stuff you play with there.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
That's it !!! Asians are my new Niche !! or how about just "Rich" people !
I sometimes say my market is "people who use electricity".

Reactions: dronai and Bst
1 - 20 of 38 Posts