Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a better way to do something. I have 106 LED uv emitters. More or less just the emitter on a small board/heatsink, not unlike most LED's. I don't understand what they are for, just asked to drive them all at 1.5a and 3v.

Now, I will be the first to say that I am not the most knowledgeable at DC, but being kinda pushed into the deep end on this one.

Now I made an LED array for my fishtank that I think is basically the same thing. Although the LED's can only handle 900mA. But I am using meanwell drivers for it.

I originally designed an enclosure with 10 of these meanwell drivers in it. But damn it'll looks ghetto for an industrial setting.

I'd love for it to be just one power supply, but even if it's a few that would be fine. I have an industrial budget, although would like to keep it down if possible, but not china parts down.

The way I understand is these drivers have a max of 48 volts, and an adjustable current output via internal pot.
With all the different industrial power supplies there has to be a good options for this. Din mountable would be all too awesome too.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does each LED emitter require 1.5amps? That would be a massive load. If so, would put 16 of them in series and run them off a 48v power supply. This way they will all get 3v each and you'll only need a power supply that provides 10 amps.

Try something like this http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/HRP-600-48.shtml
They are rated for 1500mA, each. My only worry is that if one burns out then the rest will be getting too much current and just start a run on them all burning out.

With a 10A max on that power supply I could run 4 parallel strings off of it then right?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
They are rated for 1500mA, each. My only worry is that if one burns out then the rest will be getting too much current and just start a run on them all burning out.

With a 10A max on that power supply I could run 4 parallel strings off of it then right?
That won't be a concern. If one shorts it would only add .2 volts to each of the remaining 15 emitters. If one opens then they will just all stop working.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does this mean each emitter will operate at a minimum of 3 volts and a maximum of 48 volts? It's important to know this, you may not want to drive them at the minimum spec.
3.6vdc forward voltage at 1500mA forward current.

If you can supply part numbers for the emitters, just maybe we wouldn't have to guess at what you need.
I don't have a part number, it's not an off the shelf item. We had it built from our specs. Although I guess the actually emitter is a production of cree, but I can't find the spec sheet.

Just have that they are 3.6vdc forward voltage at 1500mA forward current. And max temp is 92C.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.