Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't need any of the $8,000+ models here, just something that gives me cable length, distance to any breaks, and some basic features.

I remember someone posted one here some time ago and there was a discount for ET members, anyone remember that one?

I'd like to stay at about $600 or less.

Thanks!

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
One of the guys has a little red one by Tripplett that was cheap, which we've used more than once to get wire distance measurements and it works well.

Not sure how it would for fault finding though.

-John

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just found this one actually, seems to fit my needs. For some reason yesterday google only gave me $8,000-$29,000 choices :eek:

AEMC CA7024 Fault Mapper Alpha Numeric TDR

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just found this one actually, seems to fit my needs. For some reason yesterday google only gave me $8,000-$29,000 choices :eek:

AEMC CA7024 Fault Mapper Alpha Numeric TDR

No way! I have one of those and sure didn't pay that for it. I've found it to be confusing to use. Not sure of your exact use for it? I forget the technical reason right now but there is a built-in error. Meaning, say if you had a break in a lenght of romex inside a wall, you can't attach it directly to the conductors at the receptacle and get a accurate reading. You would have to attach a extension cord of similiar guage first and read through it also. IIRC, it must be over 7' long.

I think that you can download the manual from AEMC site. If you get that far I have copy of different types of junctions/breaks and how they look on a graphic screen. Well, at least how they are supposed to look! :rolleyes:

Whoops! I have the CA-7026 or the graphing model.:)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No way! I have one of those and sure didn't pay that for it. I've found it to be confusing to use. Not sure of your exact use for it? I forget the technical reason right now but there is a built-in error. Meaning, say if you had a break in a lenght of romex inside a wall, you can't attach it directly to the conductors at the receptacle and get a accurate reading. You would have to attach a extension cord of similiar guage first and read through it also. IIRC, it must be over 7' long.

I think that you can download the manual from AEMC site. If you get that far I have copy of different types of junctions/breaks and how they look on a graphic screen. Well, at least how they are supposed to look! :rolleyes:

Whoops! I have the CA-7026 or the graphing model.:)
Thanks, I realized i need the CA-7026 as I need to measure twisted pair as well. I found it for about $795

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
The one that was on here had specific menus for building wire. It escapes me what it was.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks, I realized i need the CA-7026 as I need to measure twisted pair as well. I found it for about $795
I ran CAT 5E and RG-8U(I believe) side by side for my ATT&T Uverse service hookup. As I remember they didn't jive with eachother either but maybe it's just me??

·
Can't Remember
10,139 Posts
I have a couple that I am playing with:

Riser Bond 1150
http://www.radiodetection.com/doclib/ct_SPX_1550_br2007_en.pdf

and

Bicotest T631
http://www.radiodetection.com/doclib/ct_SPX_T631_datasheet_2007_en.pdf

The Riser Bond unit is a more basic one that shows up frequently on Ebay for reasonable money. Thats where I got both units. The Bicotest unit had to be sent to England for a new screen. I bought that one for the larger screen for better resolution. Did I need it, no, but I bought these to help find underground faults. So far having better luck with A frames. I need to find the values for UF and probably have better luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a couple that I am playing with:

Riser Bond 1150
http://www.radiodetection.com/doclib/ct_SPX_1550_br2007_en.pdf

and

Bicotest T631
http://www.radiodetection.com/doclib/ct_SPX_T631_datasheet_2007_en.pdf

The Riser Bond unit is a more basic one that shows up frequently on Ebay for reasonable money. Thats where I got both units. The Bicotest unit had to be sent to England for a new screen. I bought that one for the larger screen for better resolution. Did I need it, no, but I bought these to help find underground faults. So far having better luck with A frames. I need to find the values for UF and probably have better luck.
Hmmm, a SPX Corp owned company. They screw up everything they purchase.

·
Can't Remember
10,139 Posts
Who knows, the lower priced stuff may well be just as good. These two models have been around for awhile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts