Electrician Talk banner

Looking for a TDR

3515 Views 15 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  nrp3
I don't need any of the $8,000+ models here, just something that gives me cable length, distance to any breaks, and some basic features.

I remember someone posted one here some time ago and there was a discount for ET members, anyone remember that one?

I'd like to stay at about $600 or less.

Thanks!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Just found this one actually, seems to fit my needs. For some reason yesterday google only gave me $8,000-$29,000 choices :eek:

AEMC CA7024 Fault Mapper Alpha Numeric TDR

No way! I have one of those and sure didn't pay that for it. I've found it to be confusing to use. Not sure of your exact use for it? I forget the technical reason right now but there is a built-in error. Meaning, say if you had a break in a lenght of romex inside a wall, you can't attach it directly to the conductors at the receptacle and get a accurate reading. You would have to attach a extension cord of similiar guage first and read through it also. IIRC, it must be over 7' long.

I think that you can download the manual from AEMC site. If you get that far I have copy of different types of junctions/breaks and how they look on a graphic screen. Well, at least how they are supposed to look! :rolleyes:

Whoops! I have the CA-7026 or the graphing model.:)

· Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No way! I have one of those and sure didn't pay that for it. I've found it to be confusing to use. Not sure of your exact use for it? I forget the technical reason right now but there is a built-in error. Meaning, say if you had a break in a lenght of romex inside a wall, you can't attach it directly to the conductors at the receptacle and get a accurate reading. You would have to attach a extension cord of similiar guage first and read through it also. IIRC, it must be over 7' long.

I think that you can download the manual from AEMC site. If you get that far I have copy of different types of junctions/breaks and how they look on a graphic screen. Well, at least how they are supposed to look! :rolleyes:

Whoops! I have the CA-7026 or the graphing model.:)
Thanks, I realized i need the CA-7026 as I need to measure twisted pair as well. I found it for about $795

· Premium Member
20,945 Posts
The one that was on here had specific menus for building wire. It escapes me what it was.

· Can't Remember
11,493 Posts
I have a couple that I am playing with:

Riser Bond 1150
http://www.radiodetection.com/doclib/ct_SPX_1550_br2007_en.pdf

and

Bicotest T631
http://www.radiodetection.com/doclib/ct_SPX_T631_datasheet_2007_en.pdf

The Riser Bond unit is a more basic one that shows up frequently on Ebay for reasonable money. Thats where I got both units. The Bicotest unit had to be sent to England for a new screen. I bought that one for the larger screen for better resolution. Did I need it, no, but I bought these to help find underground faults. So far having better luck with A frames. I need to find the values for UF and probably have better luck.

· Registered
250 Posts
I have a couple that I am playing with:

Riser Bond 1150
http://www.radiodetection.com/doclib/ct_SPX_1550_br2007_en.pdf

and

Bicotest T631
http://www.radiodetection.com/doclib/ct_SPX_T631_datasheet_2007_en.pdf

The Riser Bond unit is a more basic one that shows up frequently on Ebay for reasonable money. Thats where I got both units. The Bicotest unit had to be sent to England for a new screen. I bought that one for the larger screen for better resolution. Did I need it, no, but I bought these to help find underground faults. So far having better luck with A frames. I need to find the values for UF and probably have better luck.
Hmmm, a SPX Corp owned company. They screw up everything they purchase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.