Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in here work on elevator equipment..? if so can you pm me, I have a question I would like to ask.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If you've locked one up in.recall.
Get the botton/ keyswitch plate open. There is a set of terminals on the key switch you can jump that resets the unit.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no its not locked up. but when the heat sensor gets tripped its supposed to stay open until it gets manually reset with a key switch... when I trip the heat sensor it opens but closes again when I let it go.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
You need to have the coil voltage go thru an auxillary contact when the contactor drops out.

That way when it opens it cant get voltage until it is reset.

Kind of the way a motor starter drops out.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
your heat sensor is part of an e stop circuit.
and must be wired in series with any other e-stop switch or light curtain type device.
if the sensor is wired in parallel it will not remain open at all and will immediately close.
one other possibility as stated above is a failed or incorrect relay

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The original problem was when the alarm company tried to trip the contactor it would just rattle and make a ton of vibrating noise. So the building manager wanted me to replace the whole thing. But I know leading up to that he had the elevator guy look at the shunt box or contactor. Im not really sure if he replaced the relay.... I never thought of that... I will look at it again...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
if you can get the schematics look at them closely for the thermal sensor connections to the relay
is it is not the same as the schematic or is different without notation then it has been tampered with.

when it comes to elevators any electrician working on them has to follow protocol and document repairs and alterations (these need approval of an engineer and inspected as well)
any and all documents pertaining to the electrical system of a lift or elevator must have the co-responding alterations noted and highlighted

this is a case of cya to the max

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you can get the schematics look at them closely for the thermal sensor connections to the relay
is it is not the same as the schematic or is different without notation then it has been tampered with.

when it comes to elevators any electrician working on them has to follow protocol and document repairs and alterations (these need approval of an engineer and inspected as well)
any and all documents pertaining to the electrical system of a lift or elevator must have the co-responding alterations noted and highlighted

this is a case of cya to the max
that's the problem, there is a crap load of documented material on the actual elevator stuff but nothing on this box that feeds the panel that feeds the three elevator cars. It would have been easy if I had something to look at. but something changed from the time I replaced the contactor to when they first had the problem. I will go back tonight and look at the cube relay.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Here in the good ol north. The only people allowed to touch elevator equipment are elevator mechanics. We are responsible for main feeders to the equipment and cab lighting and that is it. Legally we are not even supposed to be in the machine room unless an elevator mechanic is present.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Here in the good ol north. The only people allowed to touch elevator equipment are elevator mechanics. We are responsible for main feeders to the equipment and cab lighting and that is it. Legally we are not even supposed to be in the machine room unless an elevator mechanic is present.

Its the same here in the good ole south.

What he is doing is FA, not elevator work.

Reactions: CanadianSparky

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
CanadianSparky said:
You Canadians and your rules. It's basic electrical work not brain surgery

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I haven't done FA recall in a few years, but it seems to me that the FA should "latch" on heat or smoke from elevator initiating devices (lobby smokes, pit, shaft, and machine room heat/smokes/whatever applies) and have to be manually reset from alarm or trouble (if the device is allowed to clear). Anyhows, here are two links to codes that apply to NJ.

NJ Elevator code points to ASME/ANSI 17.1 which also points to NFPA 72, and I'm sure NFPA 101 or 102 is linked in there somewhere, if that applies

ASME a17.1 (2007 version)
Read 2.27.3.2, which specifically states the Phase I recall operation sequence, and states that the control must be reset manually on the keyswitch for the elevator control

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
You Canadians and your rules. It's basic electrical work not brain surgery
In North Carolina, there is a special electrical license for elevator work. I think our state enforces that only elevator companies work on them. My insurance wont let me touch one, in fact, I called my insurance rep one time about something and I was told my insurance actually doesnt even cover me working on underground pools, boilers, and a bunch of other odd ball stuff. Im betting somebody else's paycheck you couldn't get coverage for elevators unless you carried such license.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Its the same here in the good ole south.

What he is doing is FA, not elevator work.
If it is elevator recall then it is still considered apart of the elevator controller and we still can't touch it....regardless of it being FA. It is illegal and I would rather not receive a big ol fine even if it is just basic electrical work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts