Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of an LED retrofit module for 4" cans that has torsion springs? I have been looking all over the internet for one for hours and it seems like nobody makes one. I can find 5" and 6" modules with springs all day, but no 4". This is going in an older version of what appears to be a Day-Brite Capri LVMG housing. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Arc'n'Spark said:
Does anyone know of an LED retrofit module for 4" cans that has torsion springs? I have been looking all over the internet for one for hours and it seems like nobody makes one. I can find 5" and 6" modules with springs all day, but no 4". This is going in an older version of what appears to be a Day-Brite Capri LVMG housing. Anyone have any ideas?
Home depot

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts
I picked this up yesterday at a local Costco. It was $22.79. The 9 means that it's being sold for under cost and will not be restocked. They had 2 pallets sitting in the back by the beer.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys, but so far none of the options posted will work with the housing mentioned in the OP.

·
Keeper Of The Magic
415 Posts
Do you have a pic of the housing or a link?

I use the LED retrofit all the time. I am sure I can get you one to fit.

Any Specific reason it HAS to have torsion springs?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Try Nicor, I don't have a link but my SH got me them in 6" a couple of weeks ago and the had the scissor style springs similar to Halo trims if that is what you are looking for

·
Keeper Of The Magic
415 Posts
Are you looking for MR16's or a 4" retrofit LED (one that would replace a 65w BR 30).

The link you sent shows MR16.

And why the need for the torsion springs?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you looking for MR16's or a 4" retrofit LED (one that would replace a 65w BR 30).

The link you sent shows MR16.

And why the need for the torsion springs?
Does anyone know of an LED retrofit module for 4" cans that has torsion springs?
I'm looking for an LED retrofit module. I know the fixture in the link takes MR16's, but it won't for long if I have my way :tank:. If you look at the housing shown in the link, it shows how the 4-1/2" opening only extends for about an 1" into the fixture before opening up into a giant aluminum box. The fixture has torsion spring brackets for the trim, so I was hoping to find a module with springs and make use of those brackets. The first retrofit I tried had the little spring steel clips, but they were too far into the housing to grab anything.

·
Keeper Of The Magic
415 Posts
All right now were getting some where. I am going to tell you - you are going to be hard pressed to find 4" LED retros with torsion springs. I have never seen them in all the years I've been putting them in.

I have some files and paperwork to go over and I will let you know if I find anything.

Have you thought of anything else that might work with the brackets?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All right now were getting some where. I am going to tell you - you are going to be hard pressed to find 4" LED retros with torsion springs. I have never seen them in all the years I've been putting them in.

I have some files and paperwork to go over and I will let you know if I find anything.

Have you thought of anything else that might work with the brackets?
My only other thought is to make a can adapter of sorts out of sheet metal, tek it to the inch deep ring at the opening, and then use one of the retrofits with the little tabs.

·
Keeper Of The Magic
415 Posts

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I picked this up yesterday at a local Costco. It was $22.79. The 9 means that it's being sold for under cost and will not be restocked. They had 2 pallets sitting in the back by the beer.
I had a homeowner provide those with 5" Halo cans a couple of weeks ago.

Light output was pretty good but will say they were a piece of crap to install. Springs wouldn't catch in clips and I could only get one to sit flush to the ceiling no matter how many times I tried to fix it. Maybe they work better in a 6" can.

At the HD here I can get the Cree/Eco smart retrofit kits for $19.99 so that's my go to trim when the HO doesn't want to spring for the best quality. I have installed probably around 100 and have only had 1 bad one and never a return call from a HO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts